From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common trigger for oscilloscopes with PXIe-6674T and PXIe-1085?

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone know how the PXIe-6674T and PXIe-5105/5162 can map together?

Current configuration:

• PXIe-1085
  • PXIe-6674T (Slot 10)
  • PXIe-5105 (Slots 2,3,4,16)
  • PXIe-5162 (Slots 11,14)

I am trying to use the 6674T as a common, asynchronous trigger for the oscilloscope modules using the PXI trigger lines. But I can't seem to figure out how to map the 6674T to the correct PXI trigger. I've attached the sample code that I am trying to use as a test case.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,392 Views)

Hi EdKoh,

Just to make sure I understand the end goal of this application. You are trying to use the 6674T to trigger oscilloscopes independent of one another using the trig lines? What kind of event will you be using to set these triggers?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,357 Views)

I am trying write some code that is flexible in how the Oscilloscope modules are triggered. I want to configure any oscilloscope in the PXI chassis to either trigger off the on-board input, or from the PXI Trigger 0 (or 1,2,3, etc). 

For example, I want modules in slots 3,4, and 11 to trigger off the PFI 0 input of the 6674T.  I want module in slot 14 to trigger off itself. And slots 2 and 16 to trigger off the PFI 1 input of the 6674T. 

These would be TTL triggers coming from a DG535.

I feel that all I am missing is how to map the 6674T inputs (PFI 0,1,2...)  to the PXI trigger lines (RTSI 0,1,2,....) that the oscilloscope modules can see. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,352 Views)

I was able to find we have an example that might be helpful in routing the triggers from the 6674T to different trigger lines in the PXI chassis. It can be found by opening the LabVIEW Example Finder through Help -> Find Examples... Then navigating to Timing and Synchronization -> Signal Based -> Route Trigger.vi

Using this example you should be able to route the PFI source terminal to a specified line. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,345 Views)

I have tried that example, but it does not seem to be working correctly. The question is, what do I do with the "Destination terminal"?

"Destination terminal" for "niSync Connect Trigger Terminals.vi" has

• PXI_Trig (0-7)
  • PXI_Star (0-16)
  • PFI (0-5)
  • PFI_LVDS(0-2)
  • PXIe_DStarB(0-16)
  • PXIe_DStarC

The "Trigger Source" for "niScope Configure Trigger Digital.vi" has:

• RTSI (0-6)
  • PFI (0-2)
  • PXI Star Trigger

How can I get the 6674T to trigger the Scope?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,341 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EdKoh

Hi EdKoh,

I dug into this some more and found that the PXI_Trig lines map to the RTSI lines of the oscilloscopes, so you should be able to export the trigger from the timing card to one of these PXI_Trig lines and have the intended oscilloscope reference the same RTSI line. I have also put the document I referenced for this below.

PXI Trigger Lines: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370592E-01/digitizers/pxi_trigger_lines/ 

You could also route the trigger from your timing card to a specific PXI Star Trigger line and set each oscilloscope to look at the PXI Star Trigger. Because each slot that isn't the timing slot only has access to one PXI Star Trigger, you can just specify this line with the timing card. I have included the manual for the PXIe-1085 with the mapping of the PXI Star Trigger lines on the top of page 1-10.

NI PXIe-1085 Series User Manual: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373712h.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,324 Views)

2Shanez,

I got it. You were on the right track with the PXI-1085 manual. On page 35, it says that the trigger configuration can be changed. I had to force it off "Dynamic" and set it to "Away from Bus 2". I also had to NOT check any of the boxes for "Reservations".  Apparently, "Dynamic" was not working correct with my application. 

Thank you!

-Ed

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,311 Views)