PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis not identified in MAX

Sorry I posted this on a wrong forum last week.  

I'm trying to use the NI MAX version 4.5 to identify my PXI system.

I have already import the .ini files for the chassis and controller, which are written according to the PXI software specification(I've checked it line by line), and the name of the controller and chassis were all showed up  in the list and were able to select.

The controller has been identified correctly, but while I try to identify the chassis, I got the error message "This chassis has been identified but is not described in the pxisys.ini for this system."

The hardware:

Controller: ADLINK PXI-3800

Chassis: ADLINK PXIS-2700 (18 slot chassis)

When I was using MAX ver. 3.1.1, this problem did not happen.

And I switch the chassis to the ADLINK PXIS-2558T (8 slot chassis), the error messages were no longer occur, but all of the slots are showed "Unknown/Empty" except the system slot, none of the cards can be identified.

I searched on this web site and found some discussion about this issue, like "additional error checking was introduced with VISA 4.0 and NI-MAX will now refuse to accept a chassis identification if it doesn't match the system layout. The checking is only possible with multi-segment chassis (more than 8 slots). " but so far I can't find an solution.

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between MAX 3.1 and MAX 4.5? What is the "additional error checking"?

2. Does NI MAX disable the support for 3rd-party hardware? How if I use 3rd-party hardware and still wnat to use NI MAX?

Please help, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,232 Views)

Hi EricLee,

Have you tried to rename the Data Folder (found inC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\MAX\Data) and then delete the pxisys.ini in C:\Windows?  If you are unable to delet them, you might need to end the nimxs process in Task Manager.  This will force MAX to recreate the pxisys.ini file. 

Changes in MAX can be found here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4DA2BCEF4200FF1B862573A600741AF9?OpenDocument 

Message Edited by Caleb W on 10-22-2008 01:40 PM
Caleb W

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,155 Views)