PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis PXI-1045 with Controller PXI-8110 failed to boot LabVIEW RT 8.6 when device inserted to any Slot13-17

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Please refer to the attached pictures.

failed.jpg showed the system failed to boot when a device is slot into slot13

OK.jpg showed the system is successfully boot. No device is inserted between slot13 to slot17. 

1. Place any PXI (PXI-8433/4 , PXI-8250) to any slot 13-17 of chassis will cause LabVIEW RT 8.6 failed to boot.

2. Take out PXI devices from slot 6-10, place the PXI device originally from slot 6 to slot 13 will also cause LabVIEW RT 8.6 failed to boot.

Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Failed:

failed.jpg

OK:

OK.jpg

Thanks.

BR,engwei

Message Edited by engwei on 08-12-2009 05:09 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,730 Views)

Hello Eng Wei,

Have you checked he slot backplane to see whether there is any damaged pin or connector? 

When you were trying to put a module into the slot 13, is there any error message or message from the LabVIEW RT System or the whole system just unable to start up? How far that the system able to boot?

James

- Meadow -
LabVIEW 7.0 - 2011, Vision, RT, FPGA
TestStand 3.0 - 4.5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,712 Views)

Hi Meadow,

Thanks for your reply. 

The slot seems OK. No physical damages detected. I believed this is not the issue as any card inserted to any slot 13-17 will

cause boot up failed.

No error message. The system just unable to boot up. As we can observe from the failed.jpg, the LCD monitor (in sleep mode)is actually receives

no signal from the controller.

The system is able to boot up, if only no card at slot13-17. For my case now, there are PXI cards placed in all slot1-12, and LabVIEW RT start up properly.

Message Edited by engwei on 08-12-2009 09:48 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,709 Views)

engwei,

Have you tried removing all modules from slot 2 to slot 12, with a single device in a slot between 13 and 18?  If this works then it could be a resource allocation problem.  If it doesn't then it looks more like bad hardware.

Do you happen to have a different chassis or controller to test with?  This could help narrow down the problem.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,695 Views)

Hi Robert,

I have just remove all modules from slot2-12, then insert a working module to slot 13 or 14 .. 17. . and the system failed to boot up.

And I am pretty sure slot 15 and 17 are working good before, with module inserted, and LabVIEW RT successfully boot up.

The failure probably happen since last week, when I reallocate the modules. But I don't see any clue from that ..

Since it involves slot13-17, and this slots are actually work with Trigger bus 3, any hint from that ? 

Any suggestion is welcomed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,686 Views)

Hi engwei,

Do you have another chassis (need not be 18-slot chassis) that you can test with? Use your controller with another chassis to see if your controller is working properly.

You mentioned that slot 15 and 17 is working before, until you reallocate the modules. May I know what did you do or happen before you reallocate? Like proper power switch off, remove the cards when the RT controller is still powered on, power failure, power trip, etc...

I suggest you contact your nearest NI office and get them to test it out for you. This sounds like a possible RMA issue.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,655 Views)

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your reply. Erm, I always turn off the power before take out or insert any card. About turning off the LabVIEW RT system, I wil just switch it off from the power switch, and I believe this is the only way to turn off LabVIEW RT system.

I will see if I have chance to test it with other chassis. Most likely will have to send to NI for test.

BR, engwei

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,653 Views)
Solution
Accepted by engwei

Hi,

Tested with PXI-8360 Express card MXI kit. Slot 13-17 still doen't work. So I suspect something wrong with Chassis.

Will contact NI for supoort.

BR, engwei.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,640 Views)