cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing LabVIEW version on a PXIe-8133

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have just started using a PXIe-8133 that has been sitting in our lab for years. The device is still running alright without any issues, but I see that it has LabVIEW 2013 installed, and it is lacking many of the toolkits I use daily with cRIO devices. Most of the drivers that I would like to install are compatible with LabVIEW 2015 and above, so I cannot install it on this device right now.
I have a LabVIEW 2018 licence that I can use to install on the PXI, but I am not sure what the procedure is with this device. Would it be acceptable for me to uninstall all LabVIEW software from this device and then install the LabVIEW version that I would like to use, or would the device fail to work without the specific version of LabVIEW it has installed?

Regards,
Bora

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,766 Views)

As far as I know, it shouldn't be an issue. If you go on the MAX and find the device, you can add/remove software. There you can find which Labview version is installed on it an see whethere you can "lift" it up to the same version as the host.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,735 Views)

Hi Lysandros,

By going on MAX and adding/removing software, did you mean I should do it on the PXI itself, or another device with MAX? I am unable to add the PXI as a "Remote System" from another computer. When I choose the "Change/Remove Software" option under "My System" in PXI, I only get LabVIEW 2013 patches.

This should be caused by the fact that we are using different NI accounts and the licence numbers for both LabVIEW versions. I would have to install the other as a different user.

In that case, would you say that there is no harm in uninstalling all LabVIEW and related software from the PXI and then doing a fresh install?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,729 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BTogay

I am not sure whether issues with different user names and licenses might arise.

If you connect to your PXI-Chassis with your host computer you should be able to see the PXI-Controller in the MAX. In the MAX you have "my system" (or similar) which is your Host PC and "Network environment" which is the connected Target PC. That is where you add/remove software. You can also see, which version (not only Labview, but also RT module, et.c.) is installed on Host and which of PXI and thus identify where target software needs to be updated.

I have formated/refreshed our PXI-8880 twice uptil now and there were no issues, since the controller is pretty robust. Keep in mind however that by doing so, not only the NI-software on the controller will be deleted, but also embedded code (for example .dll files out of Simulink). Only the OS will remain on the target. Consult NI however, if you feel unsafe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,725 Views)

Hi,

I removed all software and made a fresh reinstall of LabVIEW 2018 and all its drivers. It was not clear what software was required to operate all modules properly, but I was able to get it done after some research. Everything works alright now.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,711 Views)