From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cascading Analog Outputs

I found a link establishes that you can cascade the analog output channels of particular devices (e.g. PXIe-4322)...

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019RIsSAM&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,413 Views)

You can also review the User Manual of the device, such as the PXIe-4322's 2nd appendix, and find references to these configurations if they are supported.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,362 Views)

So I have no idea what happened to my original post, but I intended for it to have a question 🙂 (Might have been holiday fever!). The link states the following:

• To get the stacked voltage on the Load, you will need to set each channel being stacked to a portion of that total voltage. For example, in the figure the load needs a total of 32 volts, so channel 0 and channel 1 needs to be set to output 16 volts each. 

That seems straight forward for a DC voltage output. What I'm curious about is whether or not you could generate a sine wave with that same stacked voltage configuration? Could you simply take an array of points that would represent the sine wave amplitudes, divide that by 2, and send the result to each channel and expect a clean sine wave?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,005 Views)

@srobinson wrote:

Could you simply take an array of points that would represent the sine wave amplitudes, divide that by 2, and send the result to each channel and expect a clean sine wave?

Yes you can.  At least, I am doing it as a differential output with a PXIe-6738.  Just make sure both channels are in the same task and they will be updated together.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,000 Views)

So just to be more clear, the PXIe-4322 has a +/- 16V per channel. The link seems to say that if you wanted a 32V output, you can "stack" two channels together (see diagram in link), specify an analog output of 16V on each channel, and effectively get 32V. The stacking is allowed due to channel to channel isolation. Can you do that with the PXIe-6738?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,996 Views)