PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see new PXI cards on my remote station

Solved!
Go to solution
I am currently reconfiguring a PXI-1006 chassis for a new program. This involved adding three new cards to the system. The configuration is currently:

1 - NI PXI-8176 Controller
2 - NI PXI-6040E
3 - NI PXI-8421
4 - NI PXI-6533
5 - NI PXI-6533
6 - NI PXI-6533
7 -
8 - NI PXI-6713
9 - NI PXI-6040E
10 - NI PXI-2590
11 - NI PXI-4204 (new)
12 - NI PXI-6515 (new)
13 - NI PXI-2570 (new)

Every card can be seen by MAX on the PXI chassis when booted up into Windows just fine. However, when I boot into the real-time program and connect to the chassis using my desktop (and MAX), the remote system comes up fine, but with none of the new cards listed. (They are listed as empty or unknown.) I am at a loss to get these cards recognized. They appear to be installed correctly, as the station's own MAX can see them. But, I have apparently missed a step in installing them...I'm relatively new at this, can you help?

Thanks,
Dan Marlow
General Dynamics Land Systems
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,181 Views)
Hello,

Most likely the problem is that you have not installed the drivers for Real-Time. In the host computer, go to MAX, expand the Remote Systems tree, then look for your PXI and expand the tree for it. Go to Software, right click on it, and select Install Software. That will open a window with all the software for Real-Time that you can download to the PXI controller. Choose the drivers that you need.
Now, remember that for DAQ, you will only be able to see the boards under Devices and Interfaces if you are using DAQmx. If you are using Traditional DAQ, then you will not see them, but they will be available through RDA.
Hope this helps.

Ricardo
Message 2 of 6
(4,173 Views)
I've been checking things out, and I have been leaning towards that explanation. However, the problem is this:

We are developing the software for this system in LV 7.0 and I cannot seem to locate the NI-DAQmx drivers for real-time 7.0. I have disks for LabVIEW 7 Express, NI-DAQ 7.2 and 7.3. In the last two I have found support for Labview real-time 7.1 and 7.2, but nothing for 7.0.

Am I missing something?

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,168 Views)
No, you're not missing anything. The problem is that DAQmx for RT systems starts with LabVIEW version 7.1. LabVIEW 7.0 does not have support for DAQmx on RT systems.

Rob
Message 4 of 6
(4,163 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author thisisnotadream
Bingo.

That was it. The cards were immediately recognized once I upgraded to LabView 7.1 and Real-Time 7.1 with NI-DAQ 7.2.

Thanks, gang!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,159 Views)
Don't forget that you can do a free upgrade from LV 7.1 to LV 7.1.1. This update solved a few problems for us.

There is also an update to NI-DAQ 7.4 that you should consider. New functionality and so far, seems more stable (at least in our testing).

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,142 Views)