From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install VeriStand RT Engine 2021 on PXI Target

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a PXIe-1088 chassis with a PXIe-8880 controller currently running PharLabs as OS. On our host we updated LabView+Veristand from 2019 to the most recent version (2021 R2). We updated the drivers on the PXI-target accordingly but the VeriStand RT Engine is missing and it cannot be installed (it does not appear in MAX when clicking on "add/remove software"

Martin_R_1-1651158985897.png

I would appreciate feedback how to solve this problem. 

P.S. We noticed two things:

* The installed LabView application is a 32bit application while VeriStand is 64bit. In the past we made the experience that 64bits together with RT-targets does not work very well!

* Could this issue be linked to the OS which is PharLab which might not be supported anymore?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(949 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin_R.

In fact, it turned out that the problem arises due to the fact that PharLabs is not supported anymore:

VeriStand 2021 R2 Readme

Martin_R_1-1651830916226.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(902 Views)

For those who have the same problem and need to replace PharLabs here some notes about how I did this: 

Update BIOS:

• Following the description on Provisioning a PXIe Controller to the NI Linux Real-Time Operating System - NI I figured out that I also have to update the BIOS of my RT target. Otherwise I cannot install Linux RT!
  • I downloaded the zip-file and tried to execute “CreateUSBUtilityDisk.exe” as described in the instructions. However, this tool complained that it cannot format a flash drive having more than 1 partition. I checked the partitions and actually there was a second EFI-partition on the drive. Unfortunately this one is protected from deletion by Windows. However, I could remove the EFI-Partition using diskpart in Windows. (See for example How to Delete EFI (System) Partition in Windows [2 Ways] - EaseUSMartin_R_1-1651830999146.png)
  • Once I had the flash drive prepared for the BIOS update I followed this description here (note: Description is specific to my controller. Eventually you need to follow a different one): PXIe-8880 Firmware and Additional Drivers Readme - National Instruments (ni.com)Martin_R_2-1651830999146.png

• However, preparing the BIOS according to this description was not so easy:
    • First of all “NI Linux Real-Time” was not available as option.
    • Also, although I changed the USB settings according to the description they were always reset and booting from flash drive was not possible.
  • Only once I selected “Windows/Others” as operating system under Advanced/Boot»LabVIEW RT Configuration»LabVIEW RT Operating System (instead of the “NI Linux Real-Time” which is mentioned in the description), I managed to set the USB settings according to the description. Once this worked, I could also boot from the flash drive 😊
  • Following the further steps of the description I could update the BIOS.

Replace OS on Target:

• Next step, replace PharLabs on the Target following this description here: Provisioning a PXIe Controller to the NI Linux Real-Time Operating System - NIMartin_R_3-1651830999147.png
  • Upon configuring the BIOS according to the description I rebooted but received the following message: “Invalid system disk. Replace the disk and then press any key”
  • I tried all the USB ports but received always the same message. So I thought maybe I have the same problem as when upgrading the BIOS and removed the EFI partition from my flashdrive formatting it with just one single partition. This looked as follows:

Martin_R_4-1651830999147.png

• Upon creating the NI-Linux Recovery disk from MAX again, the drive looked as follows:

Martin_R_5-1651830999148.png

• With this flash drive installing the Linux RT OS worked fine.

Install Base Image:

Next problem: The target boots and I can find it via MAX but since it boots in safe mode I cannot install any software! I get to the login window where I enter "admin" and "{password}" to login. But then I get a message that no software can be installed when the target is in safemode. So I try to follow the "offline installation guide" here: Installing Software to Offline NI Linux Real-Time Targets - NIMartin_R_8-1651830999148.png. I followed the instructions and tried this a couple of times but either the "install software" option was disabled or MAX had issues to find the RT target. I was also puzzled by the screenshot of the instruction where it looks as if the target is not connected while installing the software (therefore the red x on the target). However, at some point it worked. This was the following situation

• RT target running. I logged in on the console as admin.
  • NI Max opened on the host PC

From there on I simply followed the description and completed the base image installation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(899 Views)