From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have PXIe 1062Q turn on without using the power button

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a PXIe-1062Q for a test project that will be inside of a protective case.  The power button to the chassis will be covered by a plate on the protective case that will make it annoying and difficult to power on using the power button on the chassis.  The chassis will be plugged into a trip-lite power strip that is mounted in the case.  Is there any way that I can have the chassis power on when I turn on the power strip?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,701 Views)

I have also read on Ni.com that you can use the RS232 jack in the back of the chassis to turn on and off the power?  the article i read described that i had to source power to pin 5 to turn it on.  My question here is; Does NI make a controller that sources this power or do you have to configure your own controller using a RS232 cable?  Any help here on this issue would be greatly appriciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,692 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mcoursen

I found an alternate route.  Under the BIOS of the controller I changed the AC power Loss settings to TURN on after the AC power is returned.  This allows me to use the power strip in my configuration to control the AC power distributed to the controller.  The following steps will describe how I completed this.

1. Power on the PXIe-8115 controller.
  2. A message will appear on your monitor Press <DEL> to enter SETUP
  3. Select "delete" (quickly, because you don't have much time before the window disappears and the controller continues to load normally.
  4. This will open up the BIOS Main Menu
  5. Select Advanced tab ( use arrow keys to highlight different tabs and selections, select specific setting to change with "enter"
  6. Select >>Power/Rest Configuration
  7. Change configuration to power on when AC power is restored.

The controller can be shut down normally using the start menu and "shut down"

The chassis's power button is still capable of turning on the power to the controller, but now when I shut off the AC power strip, and then return the power, the chassis controller powers up.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,690 Views)

It sounds like you could also do what you are trying to do with the "inhibit mode" switch on the back of the chassis.  On "manual" it will turn the chassis on when AC power is applied.  You would then use pin 5 to turn the chassis OFF.

Either way works.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,658 Views)

we tried to use the inhibit switch, but since we are developing this test system to be used in the field, we did not feel that it was a very clean way to ask a client to turn off their test equipment.  Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,596 Views)