PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the software determine what PXI cage is attached

Can the software determine what PXI cage is attached. 
Message Edited by Eagle01 on 06-16-2009 10:34 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,794 Views)

Hello,

Yes, you can determine which PXI chassis (model number and manufacturer) you are connected to, through the use of VISA property nodes, and the PXI Backplane VISA resource. Take a look in the NI-VISA Help document, under Interface-Specific Information -> PXI/PCI -> Other PXI Resource Classes and VISA. This section will describe how to access the PXI BACKPLANE resource. You'll need to pass this VISA resource into a property node (assuming you're using LabVIEW). On the property node, select General Settings -> Model Name, as shown in the attached screenshot, to access the model number of the PXI chassis.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
Message 2 of 13
(4,783 Views)
I'm not using labview.  I'm trying to use C++.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,778 Views)
You can also access this in C++ by calling the viGetAttribute function for VI_ATTR_MODEL_NAME. The NI-VISA Help file contains detailed information on each of these functions and attributes.
Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,756 Views)
I have two different PXI cages one is a PXI-1056 the other is a PXI-1042.  I run the same program with both cages and the PXI-1056 identifies itself but the PXI-1042 does not. Is there something different I have to do for the PXI-1042?
Message Edited by Eagle01 on 06-18-2009 03:25 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,753 Views)
Are you using the 1042's BACKPLANE VISA resource (not the 1056's) for the function call to that chassis? You shouldn't have to do anything other than change the BACKPLANE resource
Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,749 Views)
What I'm doing is using viFindRsrc to get a list of everything then I go through the list with viFindNext and if the resource is a backplane then I use viGetAttribute to get the name.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,747 Views)
This method works with the PXI-1056 but not the PXI-1042.  It does find the backplane
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,727 Views)
So, you are able to find the backplane resource for the 1042, but calling that function doesn't give you PXI-1042 as the model name? How exactly do you have your chassis' set up? Are they daisy chained together?
Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,724 Views)
Sorry, i said that worng the PXI-1042 doesn't find the backplane.  I am only connecting them one at a time.  Basically, my app has to run on either a PXI-1056 or PXI-1042 I'm trying to determine which one is connected
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,721 Views)