From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use parallel and multiplexed mode?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have

a NI USB-6259 DAQ Module (Two Connectors with to Cables to two SCXI-1349, which connects the DAQ to the Chassis)

a SCXI-1001 Chassis

3 SCXI-1143 8 Channel Low Pass Filter Modules

and

a SCXI-1180 Front End Plate

As the DAQ has 16 diff. AI Channels, I would like to drive two SCXI 1143 in multiplexed mode(connected to Connector 0 at USB-DAQ via SCXI 1349) and one in parallel mode assigned to AI 8-15 (Connected to Connector 1 at USB-DAQ via SCXI 1349) .

The configuration is approved by MAX

But when I run it with the software I get an error saying that a simultaneous scan is possible Error -223835. And that the selected channel is not in the task Error: -200486.

Can one DAQ device(like NI USB-6259) be assigned with Channels 0-7 in multiplexed mode (multiplexing two SCXI 1143 8 Channel) and the rest of the channels in parallel mode for on SCXI card? NI-USB 6259 has to separate connectors but is it still seen as one DAQ card?

What does the error say? I thought I configured for a simultaneous scan.

Attached to this post is a picture:

Top Left: Back view of my NI USB-6259

Top Right: Front view of my chassis with three SCXI 1143

Bottom: Back view of my chassis. Two SCXI 1249 are connected to two Cards. One card should be run in parallel mode, two in multiplexed mode.System

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,733 Views)

Hi Alex,

I was able to reproduce the errors in MAX using simulated hardware. I also found the following KnowledgeBase:

Can I Use SCXI Modules in Parallel Mode and Multiplexed Mode in the Same Chassis?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C94797073B74E51E86256A93005CABFF

It seems you need two DAQ devices to use Parallel Mode und Multiplexed Mode in one chassis.

Best regards

Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,714 Views)

The funny thing is I get the same error when I run only two SCXI Low-Pass Cards both in parallel mode. This should be possible according to the manual.

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,710 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author azavarsky

The following link states:

"In parallel mode, you can use only one module per digital DAQ device; you must connect any other modules in the chassis, in either parallel or serial mode, to a different DAQ device."

Which SCXI Modules are Capable of Running in Parallel Mode?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3D45A66A691E4BD886256A6C004A4313?OpenDocument

So you need a seperate DAQ device for every module.

Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,705 Views)

@ Lorenz-Mie

you are right that I need a new DAQ device, but as stated in the M-Series manual on page A-108:

"Use Connector 0 of  your M Series device to control SCXI. NI-DAQ 7.4
and later supports SCXI in parallel mode on Connector 1."

Thats what I've done. I'll keep on trying.

Alex
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,699 Views)