Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSoD NMI Parity Error with PXIe-1085 and PXIe-8135 Controller

I recently assembled a PXIe-1085 chassis with the following:

• PXIe-8135 controller
  • 8x PXI-6133 (ADCs)
  • 4x PXI-6733 (DACs)
  • 1x PXI-6711 (Trigger)

After running a data acquisition application that works (on the PXI-1045 chassis and most recently on the PXIe-1065), the system crashed with a BSoD with the error message: "NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error" (the same error in a similar thread http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/NMI-parity-error-with-PCI-6229/td-p/822303).  

I installed the patch that was suggested in this article: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58E5200DF3910C6586257CA7004F53CD but that did not solve the problem. I also upgraded the PXI Platform Services and DAQmx drivers to the latest 16.0 to no avail.

After running some tests with NI-MAX I realized that the system crashes when a simultaneous analog input task is setup with anything greater than 48 AI channels at 1MS/s.  But my application requires 64 channels simultaneous sampling at 1MS/s.  I tried running the Voltage-Finite Input.vi DAQmx example in LabVIEW with a sampling rate of 1MS/s and 64 channels and with the help of breakpoints noticed that the system crashes at the call to Start Acquisition vi.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Josiah

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,101 Views)

Hi Josiah,

I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with a BSoD, that's definitely never fun. Just a few questions about the behavior you're seeing now:

- While testing with the Voltage-Finite Input example, does a system 'crash' entail blue screening the controller or does LabVIEW just crash? If so, does LabVIEW catch the crash or not? (as in is a crash report generated?)

- Does it work fine with 48 channels and always crash with 49 or greater? Or do you sometimes see crashes with less?

- What OS is the controller running?

- Does the VI run for any amount of time or crash immediately with the first call to the Start Acquisition VI?

- Does this only occur on the 1085 chassis, not the 1065 or 1045?

- Are you able to just run a task in MAX with more than 48 AI channels? If not, does MAX crash or otherwise how does it error out?

Thanks very much! Hopefully with those answers I'll be able to come up with some more specific troubleshooting steps. 

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,051 Views)

Hi Selene,

Thanks for replying.

- Yes the controller always crashes with a BSoD.

- It always crashes with 49 channels or greater.

- Windows 7 Professional SP1

- The whole controller crashes with the first call to the Start Acquisition VI.

- The application works perfectly on the 1065 chassis with no crashes.  I have not tested it on the 1045 as I do not have one.

- Running an AI task in MAX with more than 48 channels also crashes the controller with a BSoD.

Thanks.

Regards,

Josiah

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,049 Views)

Hi Josiah,

Thanks for that information! This behavior does seem very unexpected, especially as the throughput you're looking at with 64 channels is well within the specifications of this chassis controller combo. Just to confirm, when you tested it in the 1065 chassis were you using the same PXIe 8135 controller?

I'm busy looking to this to see if it may be related to a specific problem with the 1085 chassis that I saw with a possibly related issue and will let you know the results of my findings. Thanks!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,021 Views)

Hi Selene,

Yes I was using the same PXIe controller.

Josiah

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,008 Views)

Hi Josiah,

It looks like you're in contact with your local NI branch to troubleshoot this further so I'll let them take over from here as they have access to the chassis. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Thanks!

Best

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,960 Views)

Hi Selene,

Yes they have the chassis and are looking into it.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,

J.

Message 7 of 7
(3,954 Views)