PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS conflict on 8175 controller w/ 8420/8 serial card

I am receiving an error from my bios while starting an 8175 controller in a 1002 chassis. The error is with the PXI-8420/8 serial card and not much detail is given by the bios on the error. The only additional card in the chassis is a Datum GPS card. The BIOS error occurs irrespective of the presence of the GPS card. The OS (Win2k) and LV5.1 application currently have no visible problems, but I would like to reconcile the conflict now before the application gets much larger and bandwidth usage increases significantly.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,626 Views)
I would like some more detailed information about your system to assist me in diagnosing your problem. I need you to describe the error you receive in detail, including anything the BIOS or other software provides. You say this error is occuring in the BIOS, does this mean you are receiving the error during boot up? If so, please describe exactly what happens during the boot up process. We currently have no known problems with the hardware combination you described, so we will need all the information you can get us to figure out where the problem is occurring.

Thanks,

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,626 Views)
Boot sequence info:

BIOS v1.20
Mem and cache checks completed with proper info displayed.
If 8120 SCSI/Enet card installed, it completes SCSI bios.
Upon returning from SCSI bios, the following is displayed:

Mouse initialised
Warning
Error
Resource Conflict PCI in slot # (where # is location of 8420/8 card)
Bus:01, Device:0D, Function:00

Then the options for continuing startup, or entering bios setup is displayed.

If I continue with startup and use the card, there appears to be no problem in the limited amount of data that is being passed in my LV app at this point.

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,626 Views)
I will work on gathering this hardware together and try testing this setup here. A few other questions/suggestions. You mention the 8210 SCSI/enet card. Does the error occur without this card in the system? Does this error occur if you boot up with only the 8420/8 card in the system? Have you tried booting with the 8420/8 card in different slots? Any feedback you can provide will help me narrow the problem down faster.

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,626 Views)
The error occurs no matter which slot in which the 8420/8 card is installed, and whether any other cards are installed. I've tried every permutation of cards and slots, including having only the 8420/8 and the controller installed, and get the same error described above, with the error indicating the pci slot containing the 8420/8 card.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,626 Views)
From the research I have done, I believe you may have a particular revision of our serial card that requests memory under 1 MB, which causes problems in our BIOS. We should be able to fix this for you by changing out the EEPROM on the serial card. If you would like to do this, give our support lines a call at 1-800-433-3488.

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,626 Views)