PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic power-down of PXI-1033 chassis. Noisy chassis fan.

Solved!
Go to solution

I went to use my PXI chassis today. I always keep it powered, but today it wasn't on when I went to use it. Turns out that there's an automatic power down if the fan 'fails'. So I removed the chassis power, and then repowered the chassis. Heard a noisy fan - like one of the blades were hitting something solid. And I only heard something when the chassis was in the 'big fan down' orientation It was the big fan on the 'bottom' of the unit which cools the boards. To fix this, I removed the air filter, and then the wire screen, and then the wire fan protector. I rebent the 4 legs of the wire fan protector (be sure to rebend both elbows of each leg) so that it sits farther away from the fan blades. Put it back to gether, and now no sound.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,011 Views)

Hi Alan, 

Is your chassis working properly now? Can you let me know the serial number of your 1033 chassis? You made need to replace the fan if this continues to be an issue. Fan failure will prevent the chassis from booting.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,007 Views)

Status update:

PXI powered itself down again after my attempted fan 'fix'. I'm currently working with NI (Service Request 1742889) to find the problem and solution. Chassis serial number: 1551FEB.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,992 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Alan_Bentz

Apparently my PXI chassis is part of a 'fan replacement' recall.

See http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9BB6E483EDB5353862578180081FA6A

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,987 Views)

Replacing the fan fixed the problem. It's been running continuously for several days.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,929 Views)

Hi,
i have a similar, but not the same problem. With our PXI-1033 the fan noises on one day started to get very loud and sound not very healthy. I know that they are generally not super quiet, but we have another machine, so I can compare it to and so I know, that is not normal. It seems to be the big fan, which is causing this noise. Is there a possibility to replace this fan or what kind of solution do you recomment?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,217 Views)