From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog input not working

Solved!
Go to solution

Recently I have been unable to read an analog signal. I am using a TBX-68 connected to a PCI-MIO-16XE-50 boardThe signal will max out at whatever I set the maximum voltage to read when I hook anything up to itIt will read zero volts with noise when the wires are not connected to anything and it will read somewhere around 6+/- 2 volts when the two wires are hooked up to each other, well away from the 0 volts that I would expectI have tried replacing the board with another PCI-MIO-16XE-50 without luckI have hooked up the wires to different analog inputs tooI know its reading from inputs that I have hooked up because it will react to what I am doing only to the inputs that I specified (if it's hooked up to AI 1 and I connect a battery to 2, the reading is unaffected).  Analog Outputs and Digital are working fine.

Recently I have gone into DAQ Express changed some things to allow me to specify channels from my front panel, yet it doesn't work when I create a new one tooCould I have permanently changed the DAQ ExpressIt was working before I messed with any of that but It may have also been working afterI cant recall the last time it worked vs. when I first opened the front panel of the a DAQ Express.

I've attached a simply VI that I would expect to read voltage inputs (even with nothing connected, it is reading -10 volts).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,451 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pagoda

Hi, Pagoda.

It sounds like you may be in differential configuration and may not be biasing the input lines. In differential configuration, both input lines of a channel must receive bias from ground somehow; it can be through huge resistances, but something has to tether the voltages to keep them from floating away. Connecting the + and - lines together is not enough, since that doesn't provide a path to ground.

Try connecting both + and - directly to analog ground, and see if you read a quiet 0 V. If that works, then hook up the inputs to whatever you want to measure. As long as both + and - have a DC path to ground, however circuitous, everything should work fine.

Normally, if your source is floating, you'll want to tie the - input to your device and also directly to analog ground. If your source is grounded, you shouldn't connect the - to ground, since it's probably already connected.

Hope this helps,

EBL

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,447 Views)

Yeah it did.  I thought I was in single ended, I didn't see the option for differential.  I switched it to single ended and it's working fine.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,433 Views)