PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Hybrid Chassis

It would be nice if somebody from National Instruments could chime in and give us

an update on news of a PXI Express Chassis with all PXI Express Hybrid Slots.

18 slot chassis Model Numbers typically end with a "5", such as PXI-1045, PXIe-1065, PXIe-1075.

Might there be a PXIe-1085 in the near future?

The PXIe-1066DC was announced after the PXIe-1065.

Might there be a PXIe-1076DC or a PXIe-1086DC in the near future too?

Somebody else announced their all hybrid chassis way back in the Fall of 2010.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,415 Views)

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, we cannot release information about future products or development outside of an official NI public product announcement.  If you would like to inquire about a particular product for your application, you can always contact your Technical Sales Representative or Field Sales Representative.  Otherwise, look forward to NIWeek 2012 for our latest technologies, product demonstrations, and solutions in more than 200 exhibitor booths including product pavilions and partner presentations.

Brian G.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,405 Views)

Yes Brian, you are correct of course that it should be an "official NI public product announcement".

So how about an official NI public product announcement.  It has bee nearly two years since All Hybrid Chassises have been available outside of NI.

My concern is that at this time next year I will be asked to "look forward to NIWeek 2013".

We bought a ton of the PXI-1045 chassises, with the promise that new PXI Modules would be developed and announced.

However, it has been years since there has been newly designed regular PXI cards.  However there has been tons of PXI Express Only cards announced.

Such as the

PXIe-4300

PXIe-4330

PXIe-4331

PXIe-4353

PXIe-4357

But there has been no regular versions of them:

PXI-4300

PXI-4330

PXI-4331

PXI-4353

PXI-4357

It used to be that Ni would develope both PXI and PXIe verisons like the PXI-4496 and the PXIe-4496.

From my perspective it looks like years ago it was decided that all new designs would be Express Only desings.

Looking forward it seams that a chassis with all PXI Hybrid Slots would be most flexible.  It would allow the use of our existing purchased PXI cards with newly purchased PXI Express cards.  It just would have been nice to have known that for the most part there were not to be any new PXI Device Module designs, before we bought a ton of the PXI-1045.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,398 Views)

Hi Kevin,

Currently, the PXIe-1075 chassis offers 8 Hybrid slots, 8 PXIe slots, and 1 PXIe system timing slot.  This offers compatibility with all new PXIe cards as well as backwards compatibility for up to 8 PXI hybrid cards.  For information on NI products that will meet your future application needs, your area's Technical Representative or Field Sales Engineer will be the best resource.

Brian 

Brian G.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,383 Views)

Brian,

Do you understand that the PXIe cards will not fit into our PXI-1045 chassises?

Do you understand that it has been years since new PXI cards have been developed?

Only PXI Express only cards have been developed of late from NI.

I am aware of NI's Express 18 slot chassises PXIe-1065, PXIe-1066DC, and the PXIe-1075.

And I am intimitly aware of the quantity of each style of slots in each:  PXI, PXI system timing, PXI Hybrid, PXIe, and PXIe timing slots.

And I am also intimitly aware that I can't simply put any card in any slot, nor can I exceed the quantity of the availible slots of a particular slots.

For example, I can not put 10 Regualr PXI cards in a PXIe-1075 since their are only 8 Hybrid Slots available.

As far as our local area's Technical Representatives and Field Sales Engineers, I have repeatedl asked them if NI was going continue to develope new PXI cards for the existing PXI Chassises, such as the PXI-1045.  We were assured that NI would continue to develope new cards for both the PXI and the PXI Express chassises.  They told us to just be patient.  So we purchased a ton of the PXI-1045.  And now we feel skewered.

We currently have new PXI Chassis purchase needs, and would pain me to continue and perpetuate our suffering.

So it would realy be nice if somebody could clue us in if there is ever to be an all hybrid chassis from NI.

Please note the we love the PXI-1045.  One NI's best ever products.  

Kevin.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,379 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I understand your frustration with the fact that NI does not release PXI versions of all of our new module offerings.  But as you mentioned, you currently have new PXI chassis purchase needs.  I was simply trying to point out one of our existing chassis that would offer you the option to use all PXIe cards in the future, as well as maintain compatibility with much of your existing equipment.  Please be aware also that PXI hybrid slots require a PXI hybrid compatible card, and will not support PXI devices with the full length rear connectors.  So unless all of your current PXI modules are hybrid compatible, a fully hybrid chassis would be little more use than the PXIe-1075.

Brian G.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,375 Views)

@Brian-G wrote:

I understand your frustration with the fact that NI does not release PXI versions of all of our new module offerings.

Brian, I don't think you understand what you have termed "frustration" is all about.  This "frustration" would be, not that NI does not release PXI versions of ALL of your new module offerings, but rather that NI does not release PXI versions of ANY of your new module designs.

Brian-G wrote:

But as you mentioned, you currently have new PXI chassis purchase needs.  I was simply trying to point out one of our existing chassis that would offer you the option to use all PXIe cards in the future, as well as maintain compatibility with much of your existing equipment.

Yes Brian, we currenly have new PXI Chassis purchase needs.  In the past we had chassis purchas needs, and were promissed that NI would continue release PXI versions of its new module designs.  So we bought a ton of the PXI only PXI-1045 chassises.  It is kind of a bummer when all the new module desings are Express Only versions, when you bought a ton of the PXI-1045s.  Looking forward the PXIe-1075 looks like a better option that the PXI-1045 if one desire to insert a PXI Express Card.  However, it has only so may hybrid slots, so if you have 10 regular PXI cards, then they all won't fit.

Having an All Hybrid Chassis seems like a great idea.  It would be nice if you could enlighten us as to NI's plans to ever introduce such a Chassis.  It would certainly help with future chassis purchase needs.  It would be a same to peppetuate what you have termed "frustration", don't you think.

Brian-G wrote:

Please be aware also that PXI hybrid slots require a PXI hybrid compatible card, and will not support PXI devices with the full length rear connectors.  So unless all of your current PXI modules are hybrid compatible, a fully hybrid chassis would be little more use than the PXIe-1075.

Brian,  I believe that full length cards can be converted, for a fee, to hybrid slots.

A chassis with all hybrid slots would then allow us to put any card in any slot.

The exception would be that Embedded Controlers or MXI Express Cards would go in slot 1, and any Timing and Sycronizatrion Card would need to go in its special slot.

Kevin.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,347 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I will file a product suggestion internally for the idea of a full Hybrid chassis. In the meantime I would just wait for new product announcements. At this time I cannot offer any extra information on NI's product line.

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,340 Views)