From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6683 PPS in and PPS out drift

I'm synchronizing my 6683 using PPS from an external source.  The incoming PPS has jitter.

I then generate my own PPS (continuous) using the 6683 (All done via the MAX test panel, no VIs).

Initially, the PPS signals stay near each other within the incoming jitter as expected.  But over the span of an hour or so, they drift apart from each other well beyond the synch offset.  How does this happen?  Is the continuous mode PPS not really a scheduled output other than the first rising edge?

Thanks,

XL600

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,063 Views)

As an experiment, I spun my own PPS using the NI-SYNC create future event VI as opposed to using the MAX PPS out or NI-SYNC time based clock (1Hz) started at a second boundary.  It doesn't look like there's any drift (So far).  So let me change the question:

Does the PPS out or NI-SYNC create_clock.vi use the adjusted and synchronized board clock or do they just use a assume time based only on the start time specified (Then free running after that)?  If free running, only the create future event would seem to be able to follow an external clock reference.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,056 Views)

Per the user manual for the 6683 it adjusts it's internal timebase to an external time reference on an ongoing basis. For PPS (input) it does mention that the source must be stable or error may be introduced into the system.

Alex W.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,993 Views)