cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1075 chassis thunderbolt 3 control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, 

I have a PXIe-1075 chassis currently being controlled with a 8381 remote control module. This system works but is cumbersome because of the need for a dedicated PC using the special MXI-express cable.

I know NI now makes the PXIe-8301 for thunderbolt 3 control of PXI chassis with a laptop.

However, as far as I could tell our chassis supports up to 4 Gb/s and thunderbolt 3 only supports 2.3 Gb/s.

Does this disparity make the PXIe-8301 incompatible with the PXIe-1075, does it limit the amount of useable slots on the 1075? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(866 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mecheng16

Using a Thunderbolt 3 remote control module on the 1075 w/ 4Gb/s backplane just limits your bandwidth to the capability of the Thunderbolt 3 port.

In terms of the ability to use the number of slots, it is based on your PCIe root on the host computer with a Thunderbolt port, if the PCIe root allocates very few addresses to the Thunderbolt port to use, then all the 18 slots of the chassis will not have addresses to enumerate and hence limited.

This article talks more about the Root bus devices - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHwZCAW&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(839 Views)

Fantastic thank you. 

I will update this post later with my experience once the hardware swap is complete and I have a chance to try with a few different thunderbolt 3/4 devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(814 Views)