From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Orange County LabVIEW Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on taking the CLD-R recertification exam

Hey folks, I managed to pass my CLD-R recertification exam a couple of weeks ago, and thought I'd post some tips since I know a few of you are probably due to take the test soon. Here is a list of things you might want to know:

• Your CLD certification is "active" for two years after you take the exam.
  • After two years, your CLD is considered "suspended" and your name is removed from the list of CLD's on the NI website until you take the recertification exam.
  • If you don't pass the CLD-R within one year after you become "suspended", your certification becomes "inactive" and you have to retake both the CLAD exam and the original 4 hour CLD programming test. Needless to say, it behoves you to get the CLD-R done before that happens.
  • Once you pass the CLD-R exam, your certification is reinstated and you are put back on the "active" list of CLD's for another two years.
  • The CLD-R exam is a 40 question multiple choice test that is given at any Pearson-Vue test center.
  • 90% of the questions are identical to the questions on the two practice exams with minor tweaks.
  • You can find the details and links to the preparation materials and practice exams here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9605/en
  • There are a few questions related to architecture and general software engineering principles and a few from the CLAD test. As near as I could tell, most of them came right out of the CORE 1, 2, 3 courses, so if you have the course materials from those, it's a good idea to review them.
  • You can use the certificates they handed out at the NI Developers Day for a discount, but the minimum cost to take the test using the discount is $50.
  • The test usually costs $200, but it's been discounted (I think until the end of the year, but don't quote me on that) to $99.

Kind regards,

Jim Smith

Message 1 of 3
(9,885 Views)

Re: 90% of the questions are identical to the questions on the two practice exams with minor tweaks.

I took the CLD-R today and although I passed I got some questions wrong because I rushed them thinking that they were identical to ones on the exam papers and must have missed the minor 'tweaks'. I highly recommend fully checking the images and words for these 'tweaks'.

At the end of the exam you are able to view the incorrect questions and I was initially going "What?" thinking that there had been a mistake.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,298 Views)

Hello Helen, I am studying for the CLD-R. I have found some topics to be a little bit confusing, so I am revisiting those topics. However, it is too extensive to go over  complementary topics in a short time. Does the CLD-R is very close to the practice exam? I am aware there will be some tweaks, but for now I am focusing in studying the topics from the practice exam.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,042 Views)