From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Orange County LabVIEW Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLAD Exam

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Orange County LabVIEW community. Just attended my first meeting this month

I'm planning on taking the CLAD exam sometime before the end of the year while I am working down here and have LabVIEW fresh in my mind. Is anyone else also looking to take the test soon?

Also, does anyone who is already CLAD certified have some pointers on studying for the test? I've heard the practice test on NI's website is useful, but that is about it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(11,058 Views)

I just took the CLAD a couple months ago, and I found three things particularly useful.  The first was the practice tests as they were a good indicator of where I was weak knowledge wise. The second was the book, "LabVIEW for Everyone", third edition, by Jeffrey Travis and Jim Kring. (ISBN 0-13-185672-3)   It came with a CD that had additional practice test questions and the information in the book was presented clearly and logicaly. I actually ended up reading the book from cover to cover before I took the CLAD. The third was just sitting down with LabVIEW and coding as many examples from the sample tests and the book as I could get my hands on. Hope that helps!

Jim Smith

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Oh, and one more thing. In general, I found the real test to be slightly harder than the practice tests so make sure you can pass the practice tests with a pretty decent margin. Definitely study up on arrays, (single and multi-dimensinal) for and while loops, (especially making sure to pay attention to the differences between them and how the N and I nodes work) and know why implicit type coercion and global variables are bad.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,009 Views)

I was wondering if anyone in the OC LabVIEW community currently has a copy of LabVIEW for Everyone that they would be interested in loaning to me for a week or two (being a student, I already have enough books and things to buy so it would be nice to borrow this one )? I think this would give me the final boost of confidence I need to take the CLAD test.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Matthew - you should be able to download the latest version of Labview from the site.  If you have not done this before, this will give you thirty days access without you having to purchase it.  Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Opps I should have put the book in quotes to clerify, I already have LabVIEW..... I was referring to the book "LabVIEW For Everyone".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Unfortunately, I am using mine on a daily basis. I got it from Borders when they were having a 50% off sale for all techical books so you might want to keep an eye on their website if you decide to pickup a copy. Personally, I find the book to be extremely valuable to have as a reference resource so you might want to get your own copy anyway.

Jim Smith

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Hi Matthew,

I met you at one of the user group sessions.  I have an extra "LabVIEW for Everyone" that you can use from when I use to teach the intermediate class for CS Fullerton's Ext-Ed program.  I will definitely need it back because others borrow it from me from time to time.  I'm currently at NI Week, but I'll be back on Friday.  Contact me, and we can arrange something.

Eric Jones

ViArch

ejones@viarch.com

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,009 Views)

Hello, good evening from indonesia.i want to make a stethoscope electronic wireless and i've a problem, the first is Communication Arduino with Labview the second is i want to make a sound from Labview and it can be saved to my computer the third is i want to make a graph, the data from arduino and it can be save to my computer. Here, I attach the program that I have made

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,979 Views)