Northern European CLD Summits

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Call for Papers: CLD Summit UK, Newbury

Hi all,

Please list any topics that you would like to present at 2015 CLD Summit in the UK Newbury (NI UK Office) 9th and 10th September to this post. Please add a title and a short abstract and duration. The time slot per presentation would be about 45 minutes including questions. If we get more presentations than what we can fit to the agenda then you will have a chance to vote which topics we should include to the final agenda. CLD summit will be 2 days event with one track of presentations. We will mix customer/NI presentations as we did last year in UK.

Cheers,

Samuli

Style is Everything
Message 1 of 20
(9,835 Views)
19 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Call for Papers: CLD Summit UK, Newbury

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to do my Debugging and Immediacy skit again as seen in Rome.

Debugging and Immediacy

Exploring how programming in LabVIEW is different than other languages, how we use these differences and how some of our designs can inhibit some of the benefits

plus all my usual old waffle

Message 2 of 20
(5,898 Views)

Agile - The Hard Stuff

There is a lot of talk about agile as a project management process and is well adopted in this field. However without the proper approaches to the code development it simply allows you to create unmaintainable code faster. You need to push through the pain.

Still not sure on exact content but most likely covering some of/all of the SOLID principles in LabVIEW and why they are important/examples of when they break. Or could be high level topics and a reading list!

Inspiration/Background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4LH6P8Syk

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are atdevs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 3 of 20
(5,898 Views)

I watched one of his other talks a few days ago, he's very good. Why does he start all of them with a Chemistry lesson?!

Message 4 of 20
(5,898 Views)

I'd be happy if I could present some content about How to write a LV code module for TestStand. I'd like to touch the licencing and code sharing aspects also show alternative way of creating TS solutions.

BTW: Can the points earned could be account against renewal my CTA, as there is no CTD Summit?

Message 5 of 20
(5,898 Views)

I might like to do a talk titled something like "Design and Use of Queued-Message Handlers, aka Queued State Machines".  Alternately I could do my talk on SQLite in LabVIEW.

Message 6 of 20
(5,898 Views)

Does anyone know enough about using labview modules within signal express to do some sort of presentation????

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(5,898 Views)

I'd be interested in giving a presentation on "Defensive programming in LabVIEW"

By this I mean some seldom covered tips on programming in a safe way to avoid introducing bugs, not how to fend of muggers using a case structure !!!

Don't forget to give Kudo's for a good answer !

LabVIEW Champion
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
Message 8 of 20
(5,898 Views)

Are there any plans to video the presentations, if not I'll volunteer if I can get a desk near the front.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(5,898 Views)

I don't know if these may be beyond the scope of the CLD summit? They should be of interest to developers who are looking at pursuing architect certifications, or want to think about The Bigger Picture™. Additionally, if anyone wants to pinch one of these ideas for themselves, pipe up.

"Large" Applications

By "Large", I loosely mean architectures that are notably more than just a 3 loop MVC, or any of the standard LabVIEW getting started templates. We'll look at scalable architectures, managing multiple asynchronous processes, reliable messaging, perhaps some use-cases of some of my projects.

404: Error Not Found

Somewhat spawned from what I have learned from designing Large Apps; how to handle inevitable errors, making the best use of user-defined errors, error recovery and how to not let an error cripple a system.

Code Reuse

Thinking ahead and creating reusable libraries, making use of the VIPM for reusing code or even sharing code.

Testing Your Code (Ugh)

It has to be done. What can we do at the different stages of development to prove our code works, and how can we spend as little time testing as we can get away with.

(5,898 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.