North Oakland County LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak CAN Hardware to Borrow?

So does anything have any Peak CAN (PCAN?) USB hardware I can borrow to try to troubleshoot an issue on a pet project? Someone wrote some software that only works with that hardware and it would help out in trying to figure out why a car isn't working. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,556 Views)

Brian,

Did you find what you were looking for?

regards,
Bill
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,490 Views)

Nope. Just a few more details if anyone else is interested.  The company I work for has an electric car that no one has really done anything with in a while, that I was interested in buying from them.  After working on it a bit it seems the battery is fine but it just doesn't move after it is started and in gear.  The company that makes this car went out of business, but there is lots of various information online and software from the manufacturer which uses PCAN to do basic diagnostics.  I think after messing around with it enough it is narrowed down to the PCU or the inverter that have gone bad.  I haven't committed to buying it, and the company hasn't committed to selling it but I want to know as much as I can before I do.

Beyond that I just like CAN and like to write LabVIEW drivers for as much hardware as I can just in case I ever need to use it.  KVaser, Intrepid, Vector, NI-CAN, NI-XNet, AVT, a raw MCP 2515, etc.  So having a PCAN to play with would be nice for that too.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,481 Views)

Brian,

It sounds like you want to own a PCAN tool, not borrow one.  Smiley Happy  I happen to know that a new PCAN tool that supports CANFD goes for ~$315 as I am looking for one myself.

As far as the electric car goes, I worked with an electric motor inverter at my last job and there are a large number of things that can go wrong with them, especially if they have been disassembled.  Smiley Sad

Regards,

Bill

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,474 Views)

@Bill_in_Detroit wrote:

Brian,

It sounds like you want to own a PCAN tool, not borrow one. 

No just plug it in, see what is wrong, see if I can log and possibly reverse engineer some of the communication to work with any CAN hardware.

@Bill_in_Detroit wrote:

As far as the electric car goes, I worked with an electric motor inverter at my last job and there are a large number of things that can go wrong with them, especially if they have been disassembled.

Oh I don't intend on disassembling it other than to check on the fuses.  That alone is probably a 5 hour job.  If they are fine then I'd be buy a new one.  But at this point I don't even know what is bad, and I'm not interested in buying a new inverter until I own the car.  And I'm not interested in owning it until I know I can fix it.  As I mentioned the other culprit might be the power control module.

Also what's up with the multiple profiles?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,465 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Bill_in_Detroit wrote:

Brian,

It sounds like you want to own a PCAN tool, not borrow one. 

No just plug it in, see what is wrong, see if I can log and possibly reverse engineer some of the communication to work with any CAN hardware.

@Bill_in_Detroit wrote:

As far as the electric car goes, I worked with an electric motor inverter at my last job and there are a large number of things that can go wrong with them, especially if they have been disassembled.

Oh I don't intend on disassembling it other than to check on the fuses.  That alone is probably a 5 hour job.  If they are fine then I'd be buy a new one.  But at this point I don't even know what is bad, and I'm not interested in buying a new inverter until I own the car.  And I'm not interested in owning it until I know I can fix it.  As I mentioned the other culprit might be the power control module.

Also what's up with the multiple profiles?

I might be able to help you with the diagnosis, I just ordered a Peak USB CANFD tool for my personal use.

I have multiple profiles because I have changed jobs twice since I first logged in here (actually three times, I lost my first login...).  My current profile is my main one.  The other one I had to create because my employer has their own community on here and I need to use that login to comment in there.  I have a third ID from my previous job and I need to talk to NI about getting those messages ported to my main ID.  Also, for tracking purposes I signup for events using my corporate linked profile.  Sometimes I forget to change the profile I am using and you see the results. 

Bill

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,461 Views)

Sounds like a bit of a mess.  My NI account probably means more to my career than any one job, so I'd do what I can to just have one.

Well when you get it maybe you can swing by our building and see if it does anything with the manufacturers software.  I'm at the point where I'm pretty confident the problem is in one of two areas, but I still want to see the software running and see all I have access to.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,458 Views)