From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Next Steps - LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schematics for the Eval Board?

Hello,

I would like to use this EVAL board and the 9636 with a sensor that requires 5V @ 35ma which from the spec seems like no problem.  But I would like to see if there is a better place to connect 5V than just soldering onto the connector pins.  Perhaps the LCD header or similar.  Could use the USB connector for power as that would be clean.  Where are the schematics for these two boards?  The 9636 at least has a good diagram connectors but I did not find anything for the EVAL board.   But having the schematics would help.

Thanks,

LR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(12,937 Views)

Hello LR,

I'm guessing you found the full sbRIO-9636 pinout reference here to see that pins 49 and 50 on the J502 DIO connector are 5V, which may be your best bet.

For the evaluation daughter-card, some further detail is listed here, and below I've attached the LCD DIO (17-27) in more detail. Note that once you remove the screen, it may not work perfectly again when you reattach it.

LCD Header pinout.JPG   LCD Header pinout 2.JPG

Hope this helps!

Deborah

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Hi Deborah,

In my proyect I need obtain 2 DIO and the LCD and some buttons are necessary.

I'm thinking in desolder the Digital Encoding, but there are resistor and capacitors near here. Are this aditional components connected to DIO 10 and 11?

I could use 2 buttons, but I am no sure that it is the best solution for me, and there are resistor and capacitors near here.

What solution can you recommend me?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Hi moisnico_uvigo,

Is there a reason you choose not to use the exposed screw terminal DIO [0:3] ?

Regards,

Deborah

Deborah Burke
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Hi Deborah

Sorry for not complete description of my hardware in the proyect of thesis, I put the minimun configuration below.

DIO[0-3]: 4 fast PWM output for motor control (I need 1 low speed outputs more)

AI[0-4]: sensors ( 1xNTC,1xThermocouple with aconditioning, 1x 1-4V sensor output, 1x 0-5V sensor output)

3 Bottoms and LCD necessary for human control interface.

2-3 LEDS for information about process (3-4 LEDS are not necessary)

AO not used

There are several solutions:

-use a AO as triger for a digital output

-use a cable solder to a LED as triger for a digital output

-desolder any component (worst solution)

what could you recomend?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Wow, sounds like you are truly using the evaluation daughtercard to its full extent!

I would recommend using the two AO as triggers. This whitepaper provides FPGA code and walks through how to program this functionality. The example project is saved for a CompactRIO, but you should be able to recreate the loops from the FPGA VI or the screenshots.

Remember, for your final application, if you plan to use sbRIO, you should create a daughtercard with the specific I/O you need, or if you choose CompactRIO, you can purchase specific C Series I/O modules.

Hope this helps!

Deborah

Deborah Burke
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Hi Deborah. 

I go to study to create custom daughtercard.

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,943 Views)

Deborah

On  your 12-1--2013 reply in this email chain you have a daughtercard link that is no longer active.

Are there starter daughter card files that can be used in Multisim and Utiliboard to make up custom daughter cards for sbRIO 9636 and 9637 boards that come with the RIO eval kits?

Thanks

Dave Cook

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,309 Views)