Next Steps - LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access a variable from one VI to another in the same project?

Well, let me try to be more specific on the problem.... In fact I have two concerns about the project I'm currently on. To start off with, what I'm working on is an application that tracks a laser point based on a USB camera input and sends the x and y coordinates to a RIO sb9636 evaluation board. My intention is to show up the coordinates in real time, but I'm facing some trouble currently. First one is I don't know how to export the variable AND show it on the LCD screen simultaneously. How am I able to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,628 Views)

What format do you want to display it as on the LCD? Something like "X: xx Y: xx", where xx are the coordinates? You will likely need to acquire the camera input in one loop and then transfer it to another loop (queues or RT FIFOs are options for that transfer) where you can use the LCD driver API to write to the screen. In the tutorial code that comes with the eval kit, the real-time code has a loop that writes text to the screen either on one or two lines, depending how you want to display it. It won't be exactly simultaneous, is ms delay acceptible?

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,744 Views)

ms delay is acceptable once I know how much delay there is happening, since I need to act based on this information. Well, so far I'm using a usb camera, but I'm afraid I'll need to use an IP camera in the final version.. I'll attach 2 pics showing where I get the values from on either the VI and the block diagram. Could you tell me a little more about aquiring in one loop and ending to another? I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to find the LCD code for writing in real time.. xycoordinates.pngxycoordinates2.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,744 Views)