Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RLC components are a little different

GarretF
NI Employee (retired)

Questions have come up a few times (1, 2) on the forums about how Multisim handles RLC components. These components are treated a little differently by the software, which is one part of the confusion. So, how exactly are RLC components treated by Multisim? Well, before I explain, I’ll expand on the category. It isn’t just resistors, capacitors and inductors that are a little different. You have to add the electrolytic capacitor, potentiometer, variable capacitor, and variable inductor to the list, but I’ll call them RLC’s for short since the others are really just special types.

Unlike most other components, RLCs are special in that the same functionality is available in a many different packages, with different tolerances, and different instance parameters. In the case of a resistor, the instance parameter is the resistance. The number of combinations is enormous – a search for “resistor” on Digikey showed over 250 000 different through hole and surface mount resistors. In recognition of this variety, Multisim treats RLCs a little differently from other types of components.

One way to understand how RLCs are different is to answer what does it mean to place a resistor on the schematic, and how is that different from placing another component such as an OpAmp. First off, you get a number of choices. In addition to the footprint, you specify the resistance, the type, and tolerance (the blue boxes). Multisim doesn’t restrict your choice. In Multisim, a resistor is the particular combination of these properties.

ComponentBrowser.png

In the component browser, you see a list of common resistance values, and footprints that you can purchase. But where does this list come from, and more importantly can you add to this list? (I'll give a preview - you can add to the list.) But first, you can see this list in Multisim in the Database Manager on the RLC components tab (select Tools > Database > Database Manager).

DatabaseManager.png

So there's the list, and if you want to see new definitions in component browser (additional values, type, tolerance, or footprint), you need to edit this list. To add your own definition, click the Add button and create a new definition. Your choices will show in the Place Component dialog. Alternatively, you can check the Save unique component on placement button in the Place Component dialog and Multisim will create the definition automatically for you.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
Comments
dubmaster
I used 'Export Microsoft Access to  to convert Digikey.mdb to .csv file i.e RESISTOR.CSV

I then imported  the parts to  multisim under 'RLC componentsan and they all have part numbers . Ineed help creating the correct tables and asking multisim to help out. If we get digikey  to export there parts with the correct format we can have all the parts in multisim with parts number.

Please check oit the files. 

www/dubmusic.com/digikey

jg_geadinc

I've just noticed that some of the RLC components that I've entered in detailed part information, i.e. manufacturer part number, etc., are showing up in the RLC tab. But I do not see them when I go to place a part. I would really like to use the parts over again that I've entered all the information for making a complete BOM from the schematic. Is there a way to access this during placement? 

For example, this is great:

But when I look at 'Place/component" menu and try to select the 1.0M resistor in the top of that list, I select 1.0M, component type, tolerance, etc. but I never see it. What am I doing wrong? This would be soooooo convenient to be able to do! Although I just noticed that if I place that part and then go into the part properties and change the footprint to "0603" it fills in all the information. Why isn't that footprint available when I place the part? Or is this the only way to actually accomplish this? A two-step process for each component?
jg_geadinc

Ok, looks like I -have- to use one of the footprints available from the dropdown menu in the RLC tab only in order for them to show up. Even though "0603" is in the master library, it doesn't show in this menu and therefore doesn't exist to the component placement tool. Once I change to IPC-7351//Chip-R0603" I see it selects the part with all the custom information I have entered. Not exactly intuitive! 😉