cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Creating Custom Arduino Shields With NI Multisim

asloane
NI Employee (retired)

Hello Circuit Designers,

I thought you would like to know that our application engineering team has just released some Multisim user defined templates for creating custom Arduino shields. Each template includes a Multisim schematic with connectors to define inputs and outputs as well as an Ultiboard layout with the pin mapping and board outline. User defined templates are a new feature in Multisim and Ultiboard that provide a starting point to begin designing circuits and PCB layouts.

ArduinoBoard.jpg

Here's the list of the Arduino shield templates available:

• Arduino Uno
        • Arduino Due
        • Arduino Pro
        • Arduino Ethernet
        • Arduino Leonardo
        • Arduino Mega 2560
        • Arduino MEGA ADK
        • Arduino Micro
        • Arduino Mini 05

You will need Circuit Design Suite (Multisim and Ultiboard) version 13.0 (or later). There is a new user component library that you merge with your existing library to add the additional symbols and footprints used in the template. For a detailed tutorial on using the new templates for creating Arduino shields go here.

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions on this or any other Multisim topics.

Campbell B

National Instruments

Comments
rubencoelho

Hi I have Multisim 10.0 and I tried to do that but than it appears something like this:

"Esta palavra-passe não é válida.

Error Code: 3031

Or

Error: Failed to open the database .

The file format/version does not match, and cannot be merged.

If the database is from an earlier version, use Convert Database"

It's also in portuguese because I'm from Portugal.

Can someone help me out please?

Thank you

rubencoelho

I tried to use Convert Database but than it appears this:

"Error: database format.[Corporate Database]"

And this:

"

Failed to open a database.

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.0\database\Cpcomp_s.prj"

FireFlashX32

Why does the Arduino Due template not feature the headers for SPI (or I2C, however I2C is available through SDA & SCL on pin 20 and 21 and pin 'SDA1' and 'SCL1')? But using this template I do not have access to the MISO or MOSI..

FireFlashX32

"You will need Circuit Design Suite (Multisim and Ultiboard) version 13.0 (or later)"

Unfortunatly you don't have NI CDS 13.0+, so this is not compatible for you.

BoLTzMaN

Problem: Failed to open the database [User Database].

If the database is from an earlier version, use Convert Database.

Tried using convert database. The process of converting also was successfull.

Still the same problem.

Am using version 14.0

Help ASAP please.

Tien_P
NI Employee (retired)

Hi BoltzMan,

In case you have not looked at the KB showing you how to converta database in Multisim, here is the link:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7219964F364425FE862576C1000BA7E1

Are you able to access your User database and do you have any components in it?

What version of Multisim do you have? Select Help>>About Multisimm, you should see version such as Student, Education etc...

Which file did you select when Multsisim ask you for the database file, you should select UsrComp.usr.

If you can post an image showing to problem, it made provide information.

Tien P.

National Instruments
Peio47

Hi,

I've Multisim educational Edition 14.0 and I've got the same problem as Botzmann's.

I've tried to convert the database but with no result.

I've done exactly what it is advisable to do.

Thank you

FDAVIDMONTOYA

HI, I HAVE MULTISIM AND ULTIBOARD V 13.0, BUT I CAN´T merge with your MY library. I've got the same problem as Botzmann's.. I SEE, :

I've tried to convert the database but with no result.

I've done exactly what it is advisable to do.

PLEASE I NEED HELP

BEST REGARDS

THANKS

DAVID

haam2924

Hi,

I've Multisim  14.0 and I've got the same problem "

Failed to open the database [User Database].

The file format/version does not match, and cannot be merged"

convert the database also failed.

Please what is the solution for this common problem.

BuddinBuddin

I had this same problem.  I converted the version 13 library that came with the prototype shields into version 14.  Assumed it replaced the file.  The conversion appears to generate a new file and places it deep in the windows file structure.  I found it by searching my C: drive for the .usr file extension (think that is correct) and then correlated the file creation time and date that was close to time I converted it. 

Found the file is the bottom line.  Moved it to my Multisim working folder and then followed the instructions for merging the library.  Worked fine.

BuddinBuddin

Now that my file is merged.......  (See previous post).  I had generated a design and attempted to forward annotate as the instructions indicated.  The components all transfer, but the nets (wires) do not.  Not sure why.  Instructions do not have an insight.  When I go back and repeat the getting started tutorial,  The nets all transfer.

Did notice the board outlines are square.  When I select the board outline in the shield template, they appear to be individual pieces of graphic objects, not the board outline.  Has anyone had success generating a board layout using the shield template and if so what was the board layout definition used.  Thanks to NI for producing an inexpensive schematic capture and circuit design tool. 

BuddinBuddin

OK,  have found how to set the global file path in version 14.  Options, Global Options, Path, Database files, User database.  This where my file was placed.  Edit to new location.  The hint came from some of the previous posts.  Nets did not show because the ratnest was not checked.  Now can see the wires, the parts and move the items around.

Techy813

I was able to download the templates. The .usr file will be located where the tab states during the conversion (if one is necessary) or merge  e.x. C: > users > download > 

In the templates you have the Arduino layout and headers. There are no other components in the package that I am seeing so far. I will continue to try merging the files. However, I was able to create  a custom Arduino Uno shield using a 28 DIP socket for the Atmeg328P. Other common components were available (resistor, XTAL crystal, leds,...) This is for my EE Design Capstone so thanks to NI Multisim & Arduino and others for teaming up.

I will post a blog on www.bits4bots.com on how I designed my board.3D and Ultiboard design3D and Ultiboard designFind your merged fileFind your merged file

giondoo77

I've been using these templates for a few projects in Multisim 14.0. Now I've upgraded to Multisim 14.1 and the convert + merge process doesn't work anymore.

I select the .usr file for conversion and everything seem to go fine (I guess it should overwrite the original file but the timestamp doesn't change ) and once I try to merge it the process fails while opening the - supposedly converted - file with that error:

I'm really disappointed that what did work gets lots with a minor version upgrade. I feel like database management shouldn't be so hard or fragile.

giondoo77

My fault apparently...

First of all I've tried again with Mutlisim 14.0 and got the same behaviour, so it's not a minor version issue.

What was wrong is that I assumed that I had to convert the database and then merge it while the merge step is not required (and fails trying).