NI myRIO App Development

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

What makes a good app?

With so many recent additions to the App Sign Up Spreadsheet, I'd like to pose a question to all of you:  What makes an idea or app a good fit for this program?

This question is very open ended, so it is difficult to answer with absolute certainty.  Before everyone's development is fully underway, I'd like to add some of our thoughts on what we are looking for.

• Applications should be able to run quickly and easily, right out of the box

This point is perhaps the biggest one that I want to make.  The myRIO device will primarily be used by students, meaning the apps will be downloaded and run by students.  We want to make sure they are successful using the device and successful running the applications, which includes getting started quickly and leads me to the next point-

• Applications should appeal to as wide a customer base as possible

When you can, you should genericize and scope your application to appeal to the majority use case.  Where possible, we encourage you to create applications that will appeal to as many people as possible.  Apps that integrate with specific hardware might be great, but they are only useful if you have that specific hardware, which severely limits the potential userbase.   Realize that people in general will not have access to specialized hardware, so try and use common devices, sensors, circuit components, etc., and document for users how to implement the hardware side of your application.

All that being said, the underlying goal is to enable people to do things with myRIO they would otherwise be unable to do.  We want people to have fun, to learn about science and engineering, and to engage in their own projects and investigations.  Using myRIO and the LabVIEW applications you are all developing, we're taking a big step in that direction.

Given the above context, what are your thoughts on what makes a good app?

Patrick
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(1,085 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.