NI myRIO App Development

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

Interfacing myRIO VIs with MyComputer VIs

Hello--

We are trying to open and run myRIO VIs in another VI that was built on MyComputer using the invoke nodes available in LabVIEW; however, we are receiving errors. At this point, we need to manually open 3 myRIO VIs that the main VI on myRIO depends on. Is there a way to automatically open and run the 3 VIs when the Main VI begins to run?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,122 Views)
7 REPLIES

Re: Interfacing myRIO VIs with MyComputer VIs

Can you be more specific on how you are trying to launch the myRIO VI's? Are you trying to launch them asynchronously?

--------------------------------------

fka OlliesCamel

"I have Google for memory and Wikipedia for knowledge, mostly I use my brain for thinking up stupid things for my body to do."

Christopher Stryker | Staff Software Engineer | Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,435 Views)

We want the myRIO VIs, which are being used for data collection from accelerometers and other sensors, to automatically launch when the Main VI, which is being used for data processing, starts to run. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,435 Views)

There are multiple ways of launching the VI's.   It sounds as if you have a system that you have implemented, but is not working properly. Are you using VI server references? What invoke nodes are you currently using? Can you share snippets of your code?

EDIT: The following documentation outlines the process in broad strokes, but does not have any example code: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/lvconcepts/building_vi_server_applications/

Message was edited by: OlliesCamel to include additional information

fka OlliesCamel

"I have Google for memory and Wikipedia for knowledge, mostly I use my brain for thinking up stupid things for my body to do."

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,435 Views)

We are successfully able to open up the VI (See attached). However, we are

not able to run the VI because the open VI opens up in MyComputer instead

of as part of the MyRIO (see the broken arrow). Please let me know if you

need more information.

Project outline

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,435 Views)

To be clear, how are you referencing these VIs? The first step should be to open an application reference scoped to the myRIO, as outlined here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/glang/open_application_reference/  Following that, you will need to ensure that the VIs are properly deployed to the cRIO and are being referenced by the appropriate target-specific path.  Could you share screenshots of your block diagram where you are opening your references and such?

fka OlliesCamel

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,435 Views)

HI,

This VI that is being opened is being run on myRIO whereas the program that

is invoking the invoke nodes is pulling from myComputer. The Block Diagram

below describes how we are opening the file.

When we open the VI, it opens up in my computer instead of in myRIO. Below

is an image of the myRIO VI working independently of the main program which

runs on myComputer. If you look in the title it says .lvproj/myRIO-1900.

However, when I open it using the VI server, it opens as lvproj/My Computer.

Please let me know if you need more clarification.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,435 Views)

You need to treat the myRIO like it is another computer.  The you should deploy an application to the myRIO and then use Network Streams, Network Published Shared Variables, or other types of network communication to get your data.  Since you are talking about data collection, I would use the Network Streams.

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,435 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.