NI myRIO App Development

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

API Key

I'm currently developing a smart sprinkler controller app.  I now have all the base architecture functional, and I am looking to add the smart features.  I am currently adding them by pulling weather data off of wunderground.com.  I wrote my own html parsing function which pulls the data from their page.

My question is about legality.  Weather Underground has an API for which you can purchase a key.  If you make less than 500 API calls per day the key is free.  This works for my computer, however if this code is published, it could potentially be used by many people.  Their webpage also requires you to attribute their webpage for any data that you pull from it by placing their logo somewhere on your app.  The way I see it I have a few options here:

1. Require every user to create their own API key.  Then have the user enter the key into my app so it can pull data.  Also place the wunderground logo in my app.

2. Use the API that I wrote - although they may have a limit on the number of times the page can be called per day.  This shouldn't be a problem since the requests will be coming from different IP addresses, but I want to make sure this is legal before I publish it.  This method could also break if wunderground.com updates their webpage and changes the format of the HTML code.

3. Build the app without the smart features, and just call it a sprinkler controller.

4. Purchase an API key that can be used by many users.  I'm going to assume NI does not have enough of an interest in this market to make it worth it.

Could someone give me some insight into what the proper and legal way to go about pulling this data would be?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,481 Views)
4 REPLIES

Re: API Key

A 5th option I have is to use Open Weather API, the API is not as complete, but they provide API keys which are completely free for any usage.  I could also use sensors in place of getting water data and temperature.  I already had the other option working and so I didn't think to simply to using this method - though this seems like a good option. I am somewhat curious about the legality of using an API key as I mentioned before, but I think maybe I'll try to use this simplified open source key for now.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,679 Views)

What market do you see this appealing to? To me it seems

the myRIO is going to be adopted primarily by "makers." If that's the case

having them generate their own API key wouldn't just be OK, it might give

them a sense of "Hey, I actually did something and learned something." If

it's aimed at the masses, however, that may not be the case.

Just my $0.02.

--------------------------------------

fka OlliesCamel

"I have Google for memory and Wikipedia for knowledge, mostly I use my brain for thinking up stupid things for my body to do."

Christopher Stryker | Staff Software Engineer | Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,679 Views)

I agree, that the primary market is "makers."  I think it might be nice to have them each generate their own API key - I just wan't sure that requiring users to do something like that was legal (I never have to generate my own API key for apps I get online).  If I just put the wunderground logo into my app to give them credit for the weather data, would that be all I need to do?  I've been playing around with the open source API as well, it's a possible option, but not as thorough.

That said, I don't know that there is a huge market for an app like this at all - it just seemed like something that might be useful.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,679 Views)

Without fully reading the EULA I would guess that having the end user

generate an API key and then including the wunderground logo and credit

would be sufficient.

I wouldn't say it's "common" but I can think of at least 4 or 5 times over

the past couple years that I've had to generate my own API keys. That

being said, I do obscure stuff sometimes.

Chris

To: OlliesCamel <chris.stryker@ni.com>,

Date: 04/28/2014 08:21 AM

Subject: - Re: API Key

Community

created by Shane-C in NI myRIO App Development - View the full discussion

I agree, that the primary market is "makers." I think it might be nice to

have them each generate their own API key - I just wan't sure that

requiring users to do something like that was legal (I never have to

generate my own API key for apps I get online). If I just put the

wunderground logo into my app to give them credit for the weather data,

would that be all I need to do? I've been playing around with the open

source API as well, it's a possible option, but not as thorough.

That said, I don't know that there is a huge market for an app like this

at all - it just seemed like something that might be useful.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

Community

Start a new discussion in NI myRIO App Development by email or at

Community

--------------------------------------

fka OlliesCamel

"I have Google for memory and Wikipedia for knowledge, mostly I use my brain for thinking up stupid things for my body to do."

Christopher Stryker | Staff Software Engineer | Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,679 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.