VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update to veristand 2015

Hi everyone,

we have several veristand based test benches here, which currently run on Veristand 2011. To get some of the newer functionality we would like to update to a more current version. Some of our test benches are based on Veristand 2014, so we know it well.

There now are several questions:

1) Should we update the benches to 2015 or 2014? From what I've seen a lot has changed in 2015, expecially with the user interface and since we use a lot of custom workspace objects I need to know, they will work in the new workspace.

2) Schould we expect any trouble when updating to either version?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,796 Views)

Good questions. Refer here for a list of what is new in VeriStand 2014 and VeriStand 2015. Both versions have seen numerous improvements in stability and performance of certain operations, like deployment of system definitions and real-time sequences.

As we mentioned here, we are currently in the Beta for new user interface for interacting with your deployed system definitions, known as UI Manager. That feature has not yet released, and is not included in VeriStand 2015. Even when it does release, we will continue to ship the existing Workspace side-by-side to support users who are using custom Workspace objects. If you are curious to know more, please consider signing up for the Beta program! The new user interface installs in seconds on top of a released version of VeriStand, so it's pretty easy to get started.

We spend a lot of time and effort ensuring backwards-compatibility of your configuration files, test files, custom add-ons like Custom Devices, and so on. Your configuration files and test files will all migrate automatically to the new version. You will have to recompile any add-ons you are using with the corresponding LabVIEW platform version (for instance, LabVIEW 2015 for VeriStand 2015). This backwards compatibility is very important to us, and is regularly tested. I would expect that the effort to upgrade from 2011 to either 2014 or 2015 is the exact same. You could choose 2015, because if you are going to upgrade, you might as well pick the release with the most recent bug fixes and features. On the other hand, you might choose to be more conservative and select 2014, since it has been used in the industry for a year now. Hopefully other users can chime in with their thoughts!

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(4,783 Views)

Hi Jarrod,

thanks for the quick answer. Somehow, I jumped to the conclusion that the new workspace was available with 2015 after I saw it first in March (I think). Anyway it's great to hear that all my old workspace elements will be supported for a while.

The problem is going to be that I don't have all the code in the old test bench and will have to evaluate how long it takes to redevelop that from scratch...

Best regards,

Pete

Remember Cunningham's Law
Message 3 of 7
(4,774 Views)

Hi all,

I just updated from VeriStand/Labview 2014 to 2015.

I had to compiled all the models and custom devices with Labview 2015 to make the project works in VeriStand 2015.

Now, the project is running but I'm having issues with the models. The model outputs are returning nothing. Seems like the models were stopped but they appear to run.

I don't have this problem with the custom devices (they are working fine)

Inclusive, I created a very simple model with labview 2015 and I exported it to VeriStand with same result.

Please, do you have any idea about this issue?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,497 Views)

Could you include a model (and hopefully VI source) that reproduces this issue? That would help us troubleshoot what is going on here. Thanks!

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,491 Views)

Hi Jarrod_S,

thank you very much for your quick answer. 

I was preparing the package and I realized that it was working when I removed all the models in the project except one.

Problem it was one of the models.. when I rebuilt them for 2015, I forgot to remove a while loop. No any error it was appearing in the deployment but the models were not returning any output. 

Now the problem is solved. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 7
(4,480 Views)

Glad to hear it!

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,475 Views)