From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resistance measurement

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

sorry i forgot to write that the unknown value is about an external shunt resistance.

Only one last Question until i understood it completely:

Is it true that there is no current "through" the AI channel, but only over the shunt resistance?

That is namely what i measured.

Thank you very much!

yours sincerely,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(710 Views)

Hi Michael,

exactly, for this device the AI only measures Voltage, so a current measurement is basically a Voltage measurement over a resistor (shunt).

Some devices also offer internal Shunts, here the current would flow into the device, but internally the process would be the same.

Wish you all the best with the measurement!!

Cheers,
Jan Göbel

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(707 Views)

Hello,

thank you very much for all your fast answers!

yours sincerely,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(703 Views)

Hi,

i have another question.

I want to map to this resistance value some temperature values.

The resistance is namely a Thermistor with a nonlinear characteristic.(I only have a table with resistance values and the belonging temperatures) 

How can i realize this in Veristand?

Best wishes,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(702 Views)

Hi Michael,

first of all, if you think we will share more messages on this topic, please create a new thread and post a link here so that people looking for topics can find it more easily.

Basically a scaling with a table can be done in several ways:
1. Use a Scale for a channel:
Rightclick "Scales" in the System Configuration and select Add Scale -> LookupTable

Then click your Hardwarechannel (e.g. "AI0") in the Hardware-Section and in the top toolbar there is a Scale-Button to apply the Scale to the channel.
2. Use a Hardware Calibration
In the Project Window select Tools->Workspace Tools->Channel Calibration

You can add a Calibration/Scaling directly to hardwarechannels here
3. If you have more complex scaling requirements you can also use a custom model to scale your signal. You can use LabVIEW to create simple Models or build it in Simulink

Propably Approach#1 is the most suitable for you.

Cheers,
Jan Göbel

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(696 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(687 Views)