VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using multiple counters (output) on cDAQ with NI 9401

Solved!
Go to solution

I found out that I should be able run a system definition on my PC with a cDAQ as an IO device.  This does indeed work for general IO.  When I try to work with counters using a NI 9401, I run into issues when trying to use more than one at a time.  I'm currently testing with a NI 9171 but the intended cDAQ in this case would be a NI 9178.

When I configure only one counter output, it works just fine.  I'm able to change the duty cycle and frequency.  However, when I try to add more than one counter output, the system definition fails to deploy with the following error:

The VeriStand Gateway encountered an error while deploying the System Definition file.

Details:
Error -201133 occurred at Project Window.lvlib:Project Window.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Command Loop.vi >> NI_VS Workspace ExecutionAPI.lvlib:NI VeriStand - Connect to System.vi

Possible reason(s):

Device cannot be configured for input or output because lines and/or terminals on this device are in use by another task or route. This operation requires temporarily reserving all lines and terminals for communication, which interferes with the other task or route.

If possible, use DAQmx Control Task to reserve all tasks that use this device before committing any tasks that use this device. Otherwise, uncommit or unreserve the other task or disconnect the other route before attempting to configure the device for input or output.
=========================
NI VeriStand:  DAQmx Start Task.vi:7220004<append>
Device: cDAQ2Mod1
Digital Port: 0
Lines: 1

Task Name: cDAQ2Mod1_CTR3_CO

I've read that there are some special considerations often required for dealing with the 9401 via DAQmx but I didn't see any additional configurations for it via VeriStand.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,093 Views)

FYI, I'm currently testing with 2013 SP1 since that is what we use for all of our other VeriStand project currently.  However, for this project, I'm willing to upgrade if that makes a difference in being able to use the 9401 like this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,078 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NathanJD

Hi NathanJD,

This is documented with Corrective Action Request (CAR) 412719. It pertains to receiving error -201133 when having multiple Digital Input, Digital Output or Counter tasks. 

This should be resolved in VeriStand 2014 and newer.  I recommend testing in a newer version of VeriStand, since you mentioned it is an option for this project. Feel free to reply back updating how the test goes or if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Andy

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,039 Views)