From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Set Cursor Busy in Veristand Custom Device Page

Solved!
Go to solution

I am writing a Custom Device in Veristand and tried using the Set Busy vi to disable the cursor while I am doing some tasks on a System Explorer page.  It seems like the Set and Unset Busy vi do not work inside of the System Explorer environment.  I see that NI provides a way to release the cursor with the Veristand API but I do not see a way to set it busy with in the API.

Am I correct in saying these cursor VIs don't work the way they would in a normal application? Or is there a work around here that I am missing?

Thanks.
Rob
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,163 Views)

Hi Rob,

The limitation with using Set Busy.vi is that we can't use these in Subpanels. The main VI hosting the subpanel (in NIVS it is going to be System Explorer) has to be the reference passed into the Set Busy.vi

Since System Explorer is in memory, a possible work-around is to to wire a string value "System Explorer.vi", instead of a path, to the VI Reference input pin of Set Busy.vi

Let me know if this helps!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,128 Views)

I haven't spent a lot of time trying this but here is what I tried.  The set busy.vi does not seem to accept a string as an input for the VI ref.  I tried Open VI Reference with the System Explorer.vi and that threw 1004 inside of the System Explorer in Veristand.  The set busy VI still gave error 26.  

Thanks.
Rob
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rkbull

Hello,

The idea is good, it works for me if you open a reference to System Explorer.lvlib:System Explorer.vi (VeriStand 2012) :

TryThis.png

Best regards,

Message 4 of 7
(7,078 Views)

Mathieu,

Thanks, I have found and applied your solution witch success.

I am interrested to know how you find the "path" to the VI (System Explorer.lvlib:System Explorer.vi).

Is there a way to list the vi included in an exe ?

Regards,

Hubert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,922 Views)

Hello Hubert;

I did it a few months ago, and I trashed the code since. But as long as you can build a component that will be run by VeriStand - in RunTime mode, you can in your code get the list of VIs in memory, and display them in a popup, using the property node Application » All VIs In Memory.

I used this trick in a Display Template, on the VeriStand workspace, and (I don't remember exactly) from a Custom Device page.

Best regards,

Message 6 of 7
(5,913 Views)

You don't have to list the vis. 

The (System Explorer.lvlib:System Explorer.vi) is part of NI VeriStand.exe, so the Open VI reference will find it when call from executable context...

CLA, CTA, CLED

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,903 Views)