VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UI Manager update rate randomly delayed

Sometimes when running the UI, charts start to get delayed. It seems to happen more often when I have more than 4 charts open but it's a little un predictable and can cause some dangerous situations when we are dialing in conditions. I've checked the CPU load of the target and the host PC and they are below 20%. Also, the network is small and uses a 1Gig switch.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,323 Views)

larboc,

How long does it run until it starts slowing down? You said that CPU usage is relatively low, but what about memory usage on the system? 

I'd suggest using Performance Monitor to track the private bytes and virtual bytes of the NationalInstruments.VeriStand.UIManager.Application process. This could give us some indication of whether a memory leak or memory growth over time could be causing the graphs to be slow to update.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,293 Views)

It seems random. If I have more than 4 or so charts up, it will start to slow down after 5 mins or so, more charts than that it will slow down sooner and more.

I don't know how to look at that in performance monitor, however here is what it shows in task manager.

20% CPU usage, 480MB of memory, 0MB/s disk 0% network, 22% GPU

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,265 Views)

Sorry, I thought that I had linked this page: Using PerfMon to Track Process Performance

You can add the private bytes and virtual bytes counters under the Process category and then select the NationalInstruments.VeriStand.UIManager.Application instance in the lower window.

ocunters.png

After adding those counters, you will probably need to adjust the scales of the channels so that they show up correctly on the graph. You can double-click the counter you want to adjust and then change the scale. 

scaling.png

I'll also note that there are some known performance issues with UI Manager. What version of VeriStand are you currently using? Many of these bugs are being addressed there will hopefully be a great improvement in the next VeriStand release.

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,260 Views)