From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running unit tests on inline hardware custom device

How to do unit tests for Inline Hardware Custom Devices?
I get this error after creating a unit test.

Possible reason(s):

Cannot connect to the target. Please ensure that the VI Server setting is enabled and deployed to the target. Also, make sure that the port number is correct and that this machine is allowed to connect through VI Server.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,882 Views)

wegunterjrASI, 

I have a few follow up questions for you to gain a better understanding of your application: 

1). What are you using to do the unit test (NI’s unit test framework or VI tester from JKI)?

2). What are you conducting the unit test on (RT Driver or something on the host machine)? 

3). Are the unit test VIs under the target in the LabVIEW project? 

4). Are you able to run a simple unit test? 

Screenshots are always appreciated. 

Regards, 

Will M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,575 Views)

1. It is the Unit Test Framework Toolkit from NI. 

2. i haven't thought about that prior to starting this:  I was under the impression that i could do it on my host pc, but there is benefit from it being done on the RT machine.  (depends on if you are checking logic or real signals)

3. unit tests....are currently in a virtual folder under the target

4. i need to check if i can run a simple unit test.

Screenshots:

1. RT_Driver_writeDataToHW case

2. WheelPPFeedback

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,571 Views)

Hi wegunterjrASI, 

Make sure you have VI Server enabled on your target. You can find steps on how to enable VI Server on various targets here:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372584D-01/lvutfconcepts/utfc_support/

Best Regards, 

Nathanael

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,544 Views)

Is there a difference between running it on the Host (ie, PC) vs the RT?   I ask because I can see benefit in each....what is typical practice?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,540 Views)

Hi WegunterjrASI, 

There are differences between running on the host vs the RT target, and benefits to each. On the RT system you will be running deterministically, whereas Windows may induce more jitter. File structures are different on RT vs. Windows, and the difference between the physical hardware can have an impact on the code's behavior (different amounts of RAM/CPU processing power/etc.

Typically we see customer's using the environment that they plan to deploy to, as this reduces problems that might be induced with the deployment process. 

Nathanael

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
Message 6 of 6
(4,518 Views)