VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 for Veristand 2016

I have been working on getting a pxie-8430/8 card working in Veristand 2016 and Inertia 16 and have learned that it isn't natively supported through Veristand or Inertia.

I've moved on to creating a custom device using the example on Github:

https://github.com/NIVeriStandAdd-Ons/Instrument-Custom-Device

After a lot of issues with getting missing supporting items installed, I am getting closer except I am now hung up on version issues as the example was made in 2015.

The two files causing problems are packed libraries "Protocols.lvlibp" and "Protections.lvlibp".  I did find the libraries for them and created a packed library from there, but whenever the .vi's inside either of them are called there are broken errors.

Any suggestions or help upgrading the examples version to 2016?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,999 Views)

I've got the example working in 2016 now. Turns out I needed to add the library under "my computer" and build it from there instead of under the target where the library was already located. Now the example shows up in veristand. We'll see how far I get from here till I run into more trouble. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,985 Views)

I'm now having trouble controlling some RS232 controlled relay boards. I verified my COM settings were correct with an example VI.

https://forum.controlanything.com/sites/default/files/discussions/281-ProXRRelayBasicTester.vi

But I am not sure how to command the serial code. In the example, the array 

Will turn off all the relays, but if I type 254:29 into the command window of the Instrument Addon custom device nothing happens. I put a boolean control in the UI connected to "triggger" and clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.

I've tried "254.29","254 29" with no help as well as defining a variable like in the attached picture. Any suggestions? I'm thinking this should be something simple that I'm missing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,974 Views)

I'm reading the rs232 port with hyperterminal and another computer/serial port and am getting this"

and so on so it must be a formatting issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,947 Views)

Figured it out. Had to use an array variable, set to type def U8.

I have two more pieces of hardware that are slightly less critical to get working.

1) USB joystick. Doesn't appear to be any support for this.

2) USB air mass meter from Meriam (MDT500). I have labview drivers, but I'm not sure how to use these to create a custom device.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,944 Views)

This may be a simpler question...

To control the relays on each board, I need to send a [254][n] command, n corresponding to an on/off. 0...7 turns on relays 1...8 and 8...15 turns them off.

I want to be able to control them with a boolean switch for each, however I don't know how to do this easily.

There is an option for enumerated list in the Instrument Addon custom project, but it won't output ASCII code, it sends "254" instead of the ascii code "254" which is "þ".

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,935 Views)

Hi larboc,

I don't have much experience with this custom device, but to clarify, what happens if you try and enter the þ character? Are you able to use ALT and the numpad to do ALT-254, and is that able to be transmitted?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,917 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,919 Views)