NI-9866 Firmware Update Issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Hardware/Software Config of my system:

- cRIO-9081 with NI-9866 LIN module installed in slot 7

- RT OS is Phar Lap

- Running VeriStand 2014

Our original NI-9866 LIN module was damaged so we recently purchased a new module and swapped it out with the old one in the chassis.

I am getting an error when trying to load my system definition file that states the firmware of the new XNET module is not in sync with my host pc and that I should update the firmware in MAX. 

When I run the firmware update in MAX, I get an error that states there was a problem updating the firmware.

Any advice on how to get the firmware update to work would be greatly appreciated.

XNET Firmware.PNG

Firmware Update Problem.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,196 Views)

Hi CWT52,

Good question - sorry you ran into that behavior.  My best guess as to why the update is failing is that you don't currently have an FPGA bitfile deployed to the chassis so MAX essentially has no way to talk to the 9866 module.  If you haven't already done so, I would put together a LabVIEW FPGA project which includes the 9866 module, compile a blank bitfile, deploy that to the cRIO-9081, and then attempt the firmware update again.  

If that doesn't work, can you let me know which version of the XNET driver you are using? 

Matt | NI Systems Engineering
Message 2 of 3
(3,165 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CWT52

Thanks for the reply Matt.

I was able to fix the issue but it did require a few caveats since I am using VeriStand as opposed to the traditional LabVIEW application.

Here is a breakdown of what I did in case someone else stumbles across this thread looking for solutions as well.

1. I took the advice of Matt and started with deploying the FPGA bitfile to the cRIO. Since I am using VeriStand, the cRIO is running the VeriStand RT image which requires you do most deployment/downloads through the VeriStand System Definition (SDF) file.

2. I opened the SDF and went to "RIO" under the FPGA on the Controller hardware tree. On this tab I pressed the "Reload FPGA Bitfile" button. (I had already created the FPGA bitfile earlier).

3. After reloading the bitfile, I went back to MAX and tried to perform the firmware update. I received the same error stating the firmware update failed.

4. I closed VeriStand and opened the FPGA project in LabVIEW. I then right-clicked on the target and connected to the cRIO. Since I am running the VeriStand RT engine, connecting to the target through LabVIEW causes a conflict. Click OK that you want to abort the VeriStand RT application and connect to the target.

5. Once you are connected, go down to the build specifications to the FPGA bitfile you want to deploy. Right-click on the bitfile and select Download. It will open the FPGA VI. I went ahead and ran it to ensure everything was still working properly. Once I did the download and ran the VI, I saw the LIN module in MAX accept the firmware update (note: I did not have to perform the firmware update in MAX, it took it automatically).

6. Disconnect from the target and save and close the LabVIEW program. Since I had stopped the VeriStand RT application in order to connect to my device, I was required to go back to MAX and reinstall the VeriStand run-time engine on my cRIO. If you do not reinstall the run-time engine from MAX you will get an error when trying to run your VeriStand application on your computer.

7. After finishing the reinstall, I closed MAX and opened up VeriStand. I was able to run my application. When VeriStand loaded my SDF, it also deployed the correct firmware to the LIN module. I was able to verify in MAX the LIN module no longer had the firmware error and the correct firmware had been downloaded.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else in the future and save a little time troubleshooting.

Kudos to Matt for pointing me back to the FPGA bitfile.

Thanks,

Cory

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,156 Views)