VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Tuning for Benchmarking Configuration

Our team is working on a project and currently we are trying to manually tune our system to determine the maximum execution speed. Our current target speed is set to 4000 Hz and we let the NI VeriStand system run overnight to test to see if any of the counts (HP, LP, and Model) would increase over this period of time. After 16 hours, the HP count was the only loop count channel system that had increased. The count only increased to 1.0. My question for you, is it okay for the  HP count to be valued at 1.0 or will this cause any issues? We have followed the manual for lesson 8 that discusses how to lower the increasing counts by lowering the target rates. Sometimes lowering the number works in but in some cases over time even though the target rates are decreased the HP count still will increase. Are there any different approaches that can be useful to help tune the system? Also, the 2nd method for tuning to determine the maximum PCL rate uses the Configuration Benchmarking Tool for the NI VeriStand. I’ve had a difficult time locating the download for the 2016 VeriStand Software can you tell me where I can get the latest one?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,500 Views)

Hi Sgray90,

The fact that you are getting an increase on the HP count means that the PCL is not being able to keep up with the execution for the rate that you have specified. As you can see in this document. The HP Count Loop will tell us how many times the Primary Control Loop from the VeriStand Engine reported being late, this could affect your system in multiple ways which could have high or low imact depending on your system. 

Some considerations that you may take with this is to benchmark your systems highest execution rate by placing indicators for HP and LP, Model Count. Then, you can gradually increase the PCL rate and the rate before the first HP count increase would be your highest execution rate for that system

You can also check this document, to have a better idea on what is executed by each loop on the VeriStand Engine and then reconfigure your system definition file to improve your system.

Hope you can find this informatin useful!

Regards,

Sil.VI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,473 Views)

Hey sgray,

We just updated the Configuration Benchmarking Tool for the 2016 and 2017 versions. You can find them here:

http://www.ni.com/example/31441/en/

Cheers,

Ryan C.

Message 3 of 3
(2,426 Views)