From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reorder channel order of a custom device in System Explorer window configuration tree

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I create a custom device, but the channels shown in the System Explorer window configuration tree are in alphabetical order, not the order in which I create them. The attachment shows the channel order. How can I reorder them? 

Thanks for kind help

Godel Sung

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,279 Views)

There is xml flag that goes to custom device xml, that suppress alphabetic order and keeps the order, that is sysdef xml file...

CLA, CTA, CLED

Message 2 of 5
(2,267 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author godel

Here are the Custom Device XML Tags.

Example:

<Pages>
  <Page>
    <Name>
      <eng> ... </eng>
      <loc> ... </loc>
    </Name>
    <ExcludeFromAlphabeticalOrder>true</ExcludeFromAlphabeticalOrder>
    <GUID>page_GIUD_here</GUID>

CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,252 Views)

Hi okubik, 

Sorry for keep bothering you. 
Here, I ask for a further help from you. 

I have added the tag 
<ExcludeFromAlphabeticalOrder>true</ExcludeFromAlphabeticalOrder> 
on the Custom Device XML file. The channels in the "Main-section" are arranged in the order I created them, but the channels in the "Sub-section" are still arranged in alphabetic order. The attachment shows the result. 

Any suggestion? 

Thanks for your kind help 

Godel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,150 Views)

Based on my experience value of the ExcludeFromAlphabeticalOrder flag for the top-level CD item defines default behavior for all subsections without explicitly defined GUID. This could be of course overwritten with the section GUID.

If you have sections without explicitly defined GUID, it's "default" GUID is 03D3BB89-1485-13A6-56005DE6430FF8B7 (you can easily find the default value of the NIVS API function "NI VeriStand - Add Custom Device Section.vi" by creating the input constant).

Attached example demonstrate this concept.

CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,141 Views)