From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help building custom device for Veristand 2015

I am needing to build a custom device for serial communication using RS232 in Veristand 2015. For some reason these are not released as pre-built versions but the source code needed to build is available for download.  My problem is that I'm having trouble getting Labview to build it successfully.  I'll attach the readme file for this custom device which show where I got the Source code from and all the dependencies needed.  

When I go to open the main VI I get an error shown in the picture attatched. When i dig deeper I get more errors of missing Vision Developement Module Support which I have download and re-downloaded already.

I've tried downloading many dirvers/ patches that I think may be contributing but no success.  

Any ideas or pre-build Serial addon for Versitand 2015 out there

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,428 Views)

Could you clarify:

Which of the dependencies you listed includes the "CHM Generator" class?

Which of the dependencies you listed includes the Vision Development Module?

Highest Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,375 Views)

When I open the project in labview the hierarchy for the CHM generator is  " \\Dependencies\vi.lib\CHM Generator.lvclass (Not loaded) [Warning:has been deleted,renamed or moved on disk] "  

This project should be just as i downloaded it but will try to re-download it and run it again.  

The VIsion Developement Module Support was required for running the Build CHM.vi in the same project.  It was just an attempt I was making at exploring the CHM problem so I'm not sure if this is a root problem or not.  

The more I play with this project it seems a lot of files are not being found when trying to build.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,370 Views)

Hi Sam,

It appears that the CHM Generator is part of the NI Compiled HTML Menu Tool add-on that's available through VI Package Manager. Can you try downloading and installing the VIPM configuration in this VeriStand Add-On Post to see if it provides the tools you need to load that class?

Message 4 of 8
(4,351 Views)

Hi Yiran

This seemed to worked for loading the CHM class.  

It appears that I'm still missing a few more vi's, notably the vi's responsible for the xml file I believe Veristand used to reference the Addon

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,342 Views)

Narrowed it down to not having NI GXML downloaded correctly.  The version that was called out as a dependent was NI GXML 1.4.2.8 but I kept getting errors when trying to install both this version and 1.4.2.7.  I was able to download version NI GXML 1.4.2.6 however and was able to build and produce a .xml file.  Veristand 2015 sp1 seems to be recognizing the custom device now.  I will try implementing the messages and let you know how it goes. 

Thanks again for your help Yiran

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,341 Views)

Any updates? I to am working on trying to get rs232 communication in veristand for some relay boards and sensors and am running into errors. I'm using 2016 everything.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,899 Views)

Hi Larboc,

This will need to be done with a custom device, I found an instrument custom device on the git repository. I included the link below.

Instrument Custom Device: https://github.com/NIVeriStandAdd-Ons/Instrument-Custom-Device

It looks like this one is only built up through LabVIEW 2015 and because custom devices are one to one version compatibility you will need to build the source code into LabVIEW 2016. If you need any help with that build, I think it would make sense to make a new post because this one is related to another custom device. Your post will get more attention as a new thread. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Regards,

Conrad 

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,889 Views)