VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Custom device tool - how to get actual waveforms or data from a channel

I want to use a custom device to do the simulation for my system, but I am not sure how to get channel data to it?  I am using a cRio 9024, and 6 modules for signal input and signal output.  I did the walk through, but it is not connecting to channel data.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,391 Views)

Does your code work as expected in LabVIEW?

Also, have you considered using the Scan Engine and EtherCAT custom device?

Regards,

Ryan K.
Product Manager, ATCA and BEEcube
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,363 Views)

Hmmm...Not exactly sure how to answer that?  If i were to create a new LabVIEW project and drag one of the channels onto the block diagram, I can get access to the data.  But, if i follow the steps in the Easy Custom Device walkthrough, I am not sure how to get to the channel data, or where to put it (ie System Data.ctl or Channel Data.ctl).   Or is it something that I map to it later once I put the custom device into VeriStand.

I have not tried running the custom device tool in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,361 Views)

Sorry that my previous response was so brief - I didn't have the opportunity to take a look at your code last Friday (and on top of that, I poorly worded my question about running your code in LabVIEW).

You would want to include logic to communicate with your cRIO in the Execute VI - you don't need to add anything to the Channel Data or System Data controls to get the data into your custom device. If you're using the Scan Engine, this would mean just dragging and dropping Scan Engine IO variables into the Execute VI and then operating on the data you read out of them. Now, if you want to pass data out of the custom device to other parts of VeriStand, you would need to add items to Channel Data for each value you want to pass out of the custom device.

When I mentioned running your code in LabVIEW, the idea I was trying to get at is creating a separate test project to verify that the logic you have implemented in your Execute VI works apart from the custom device architecture. Now that I've had a chance to take a look at your code, I see that the logic to communicate with the cRIO hasn't been implemented yet. As such, that original suggestion doesn't make sense - sorry for the confusion.

Also, just so you're aware, you'll need to modify your custom device project to allow the custom device to be compiled for a VxWorks target. To do so, add your cRIO to the project as a new target and then copy all of your custom device files to the cRIO controller. You'll also need to make some modifications to the build specification to get everything to compile correctly.

Finally, I also notice that in your init VI, you don't pass a file path to the Open/Create/Replace file VI, which will likely cause some problems when you try to run the device.

Regards,

Ryan K.
Product Manager, ATCA and BEEcube
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,318 Views)