VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Baud Rate not accepted

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to establish a CAN FD + BRS connection from VeriStand's XNET XCP Custom Device to my ECU. My ECU uses slightly different baud rate settings from the default baud rate settings for NI XNET. Where NI XNET communicates with a sample point of 80%, our protocol uses a sample rate of 75%. I'm using 500k + 1MB as my base baud rates.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7mDSAS

I was able to use the Bus Monitor in MAX to view basic ECU traffic over the CAN network once I entered in the correct values for our sample point

I'm able to set custom baud rates in the XNET Database, at the XCP Custom Device, but not at the hardware CAN port. When I try and add the port with my custom database, it disables the "OK" button.

image.png

If I try and be sneaky by adding the CAN port under a different database, then selecting the database with the correct sample points, I get the following error when trying to access the port's page to view the settings.

image.png

If I leave the base Baud Rate, but change the FD Baud Rate to the correct value, then try and add the CAN port to Veristand, I see the following values.

image.png

This is not a valid baud rate, but if its represented in the 64bit custom baud rate format, we get a hex value of 0x A006 4D43 which translates to a 1MB baud rate, which is the desired CAN FD BRS baud rate for my application.

My concern is that the XNET custom device is reading my modified value for baud rate, but not checking for the XNET custom baud rate format as described in the XNET manual. Does anyone know how to get the XNET custom device to actually use custom baud rates? I've read up on building my own custom device to handle the XNET session, but as a novice LabView user, it seems like a massive effort to re-invent the wheel.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,050 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DerekTheRockRockson

Thanks to Silvia and Nicholas at NI for helping me with this problem.

The CAN Port appears to not have been updated to the new 64bit encoding of the Baud Rate. For reference:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372841T-01/nixnet/propertysessioninterface64bitbaudrate/

The work around that was presented to me was to take the XNET Database file for the Port and to edit the baud rate in that file to match the 32bit encoding for the chosen baud rate. This only works for the .xml version of a CAN FD Database file. I was able to use the Database Editor to convert my .dbc file to an .xml version. It sounds like a permanent fix for this is in the R&D Department's queue.

…

<fx:ELEMENTS>

<fx:CLUSTERS>

<fx:CLUSTER ID = 'name'>

<fx:SPEED>InsertBaudRateHere</fx:SPEED>

Message 2 of 2
(2,964 Views)