From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN Bus Limit on PXI?

I'm looking into a configuration where I would need a whole bunch of CAN busses in my VeriStand system.  I'm currently spec'ing out a system with 5x NI PXI-8512 (10 CAN busses) and hope to u se the J1939 custom device to simulate multiple TLAs on each CAN bus.

Am I going to run into any significant limitations with CAN with this configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,534 Views)

Hi Nathan,

Are you planning on doing any DAQ or FPGA devices in the same system? I know having multiple of those devices can impact PCL rates. Do you have an ideal PCL rate you're trying to meet?

I also included some getting started documents for CAN and VeriStand below in case anyone stumbles up on this in the future.

CAN, LIN, and FlexRay Interfaces for NI VeriStand

Getting Started with NI-XNET for NI VeriStand and NI LabVIEW

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,508 Views)

Currently we are planning on having up to 10 CAN busses, up to 6 LIN busses, a bunch of DAQ IO and FPGA (a full 14-slot PXI with an 8-slot MXI RIO chassis).  As far as loop rates, I believe that our current systems are running one of the following rates:  200 Hz, 400 Hz, and 500 Hz.

If you need more details, I've actually submitted a support request where you can find my hypothetical setup.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,501 Views)

Hi Nathan,

At rates under 1kHz, we have internal benchmarking data for a VeriStand project with 2 Models, 2 DAQ devices, and 2 FPGA targets on 2015 SP1 max PCL rate to be just over 10 kHz. Unfortunately I couldn't find any benchmarking data for CAN/XNET or more than 2 devices at a time, but I wouldn't anticipate maximum PCL rates being below 500 Hz. I would work with your NI Sales Engineer to confirm everything else looks in order!

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,485 Views)