From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASAM XIL/MA Port Questions and Limitations

Hello all,

I am currently playing around with the ASAM.XIL API to log directly from VeriStand to MDF4 and am stuck at the following points:

1.: Is there any way to give better names to the channel groups?

In the XML File that determines, which Tasks are present in the System, I can set the names to "TaskN" where N is the frequency. What I would like, is to name them "Temperature" at best, or at least "Temperature1" to get a good structure into those files.

2.: Is there a way to connect to the Model Access Port without getting having to start and deploy the project? My goal is to run the program I'm writing from a console step from the Stimulus Profile. Best Case, this would be done without interrupting project execution.

However, when I run the code from the Example, it throws an error, when the 

maport.Configure

step executes and the project is already running. Is there a different way to connect?

Best regards,

Peter

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,027 Views)

Bonus Question:

I created a MaPortConfig Class to be able to serialize into the correct XML Format. Is there a class I could inherit from that already has the structure needed?

IMAPortConfig seems like the logical choice, but it looks pretty empty.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,007 Views)

Hello,

Per Veristand help:

"Format task names as follows: TaskN, where N is the frequency in Hz of the task."

To my understanding, this would mean answer "not possible" to your question #1.

This example here may be some hint to achieve your goal: The following example, written in C#, uses the ASAM XIL API to capture and save channel value data to an MDF4 file. This C# code references the Engine Demo example project.

Take care

Best Regards,
TK
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,964 Views)

I think the second link you posted is incorrect, can you please check again, so I can have a better look?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,957 Views)

I double checked and link should work fine. In case if for any reason it doesn't for you, try to find "C# Walkthrough: Capturing and Logging Channel Values" via Google.

Best Regards,
TK
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,952 Views)

OK, thanks for checking again! It is, however, the link from my initial question.

I guess it is a "no" on that one as well.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,945 Views)

The situation is, that this two things are mandated by the ASAM XIL standard/XIL group. So as we strictly follow that, you cannot f.e. change the state machine...

Recommended reading: 

https://www.asam.net/standards/detail/xil/ 

https://www.asam.net/standards/detail/xil-ma/

~Jiri

CLA, CTA, CLED

Message 7 of 9
(3,942 Views)

Awesome Jiri!

Thanks for the links I'll work through them when I get back on this project.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,938 Views)

Sorry that I'm digging this up again, but I have additional questions:

How can I log multiple Tasks? The example only shows one channel group. From that alone I can't really understand what needs to be done to log some data to a second task, e.g. a slower task.

I've tried generating a second capture Task, but it does not show up in the file.

Is there any more Documentation on the Trigger Conditions for IConditionWatcher? I can figure out what posedege(enginePower, 0.5) does, but what else can it do?

Finally, how come they can pass a Task Name formatted differently to "TaskN" in this document by dSpace? In Chapter 5.5 the example seems to show this, yet with VeriStand I get an exception.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,821 Views)