From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party Ethercat node returns "Other" Datatype with 0. UInt8 datatype works..

Dear Forum

I am trying to integrate a 3rd party device in Ethercat, however I only see 0 as the value for the data points. The datatype is indicated as "Other".

I can see the status of the same data points with Datatype UInt8 and correct values (0 and 1).

I have no idea what dataypes the Ethercat Code labels as "Other", the device is sending "Real". Is it possible to send data with datatype "Real" at all?

Thanks in advance

Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,344 Views)

Hi Raphael,

Can you please attach the LV project and ESI of the third party slave? ESI file is the XML provided by the vendor of the slave.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,325 Views)

Hi Yin

this is one entry of the ESI file:

<TxPdo Sm="3" Mandatory="true" Fixed="true">
<Index>6659</Index>
<Name>Channel001</Name>
<Entry>
<Index>8195</Index>
<SubIndex>1</SubIndex>
<BitLen>8</BitLen>
<Name>Status</Name>
<DataType>USINT</DataType>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Index>8195</Index>
<SubIndex>2</SubIndex>
<BitLen>32</BitLen>
<Name>Value</Name>
<DataType>REAL</DataType>
</Entry>
</TxPdo>

There is no LV project in this case since it's all handled by Versitand.

Thanks, Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,315 Views)

Hi Raphael,

"Real" is one of the Base Data Types defined by EtherCAT specifications. NI EtherCAT driver supports "Real" naively. As you can see the demo in the following snapshot:

Capture.PNG

I am thinking if this is a problem introduced by the Scan Engine & EtherCAT Custom Device. Can you please copy your question to https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-VeriStand-Add-Ons-Discussions/Scan-Engine-EtherCAT-Custom-Device-Feedbac...?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,308 Views)

Hi Yin

thanks for your input and the screenshot, I have posted the question here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-VeriStand-Add-Ons-Discussions/Scan-Engine-EtherCAT-Custom-Device-Feedbac...

Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,282 Views)