The SLSC Electronic Datasheet (EDS) Plugin Custom Device allows a customer to access properties,commands, and physical channels of a customized capability of the SLSC-12101 within VeriStand environment. However, since it can read and parse a generic capability file, this SLSC Plugin can be used to any SLSC board. It also has additional features that help test configurations, apply a configuration when deploying and reset the configuration when undeploying.
This custom device should be consider it for usage with SLSC modules before you try to create your own custom device for your board.
After installing the SLSC EDS Plugin Custom Device, you should be able to target any SLSC board by change a Slot option to SLSC EDS:
It is recommended to target a SLSC board when the chassis running because this would allow the SLSC EDS to read the capabilities features in the board. If you do that, then the module in the specific slot will return the specific capability in the specific slot:
Notice that this specific board had two extra channels customized for it own use. And if you try to target a SLSC-12201, its capabilities are read and made available for VeriStand:
After you have the EDS Custom Device setup to a specific card, you will notice the following:
2. You have two column with values: the Default Value and the Reset Value. The Default Values are the properties that are applied when you "deploy" the system definition to the target. The Reset Values are the values applied to the module when you "undeploy" the system definition. If for some reason, you do not desire to have those operations, you just need to "uncheck" the checkboxes:
3. Each Write Property should have an associated channel created it. This should allow you to change the value dynamically when the system is deployed. That way, a value change to the channel will means to send a message to the SLSC module. If you do not need to change the value when running (or do not want to change), then you can "remove" the channel using the buttons above the table:
When the channel is "removed", the symbol in the table change to indicate that it only happens at the "deployment".
4. Command channels are created as "read/write" VeriStand Channels. When the value is changed from 0 to 1, a command message will be sent to the SLSC chassis. And, when executed, the channel will be set back to 0. If you do not need the specific Command, you can "remove" from the list.
5. Each Read Property will also be associated with a channel and it will updated according to the "Loop Rate" at the bottom of the main page. If the channel is not necessary to be used, it is advised to "remove" the channel from the list, like described for Write Properties. This will make the asynchronous part of the SLSC Plugin to perform better.6. To change the value of the Write Property or Command, you just need to "select" the property and change its value above the table. The value can be changed according to the type of value. For example, for ENUMS datatypes, only the ENUM options are available for selection and you can choose the value. If you desire to change the value in the Reset Value column, you need to "check" the "modify Reset Value?" checkbox.7. After you have defined the values for Default and Reset, you can check if the properties have no errors by using the "Apply Default" and "Apply Reset" buttons. If any of the properties have invalid value, it will generate an error:8. The "SLSC Diagram" and "SLSC Pinout" Buttons are used for Plugin features of the EDS if they have the right files in your system. If they have, the buttons will be Enabled and when you press, a diagram or pinout should show up as below. To dismiss those windows, just press the "X" at the right hand-side.
9. You can remove or add channels by selecting the whole card, the device properties and commands and selecting the Physical channels (or each separately). Then, by pressing Add/Remove buttons, you will add/remove the channels for that group.
To use the SLSC-EDS Custom Device, unzip the attached .zip file, and place the files under the folder SLSC-12201 DIO create in:
For VeriStand 2015 SP1:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2015\Custom Devices\SLSC Plug-ins
For VeriStand 2016:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2016\Custom Devices\SLSC Plug-ins
For VeriStand 2017:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2017\SLSC Plugins\Modules
For VeriStand 2018 and later, use the NI Package Manager file to install (see instructions below to how to obtain it).
NOTE: For versions prior to 2017, you also have to install the SLSC Chassis Custom Device. You can get that in here.
This add-on requires the following hardware:
To run the SLSC EDS Plugin Custom Device, you will need to use specific version in attachment with version used by VeriStand. In the page we have supported:
For VS2015 and VS 2016, you have to install the SLSC Chassis Custom Device (https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-VeriStand-Add-Ons-Documents/NI-VeriStand-Add-on-SLSC-Chassis-Custom-Devi...)
For VS2018 and later, look for the SLSC Plugin in the NI Package Manager under the VeriStand plugins or here (https://github.com/NIVeriStandAdd-Ons/SLSC-EDS-Plugin-Custom-Device/releases).
The Source code of the addon is based on LV 2015SP1 and it is available here:
NOTE: To build this custom device in versions VS2017 and after, you need to change the Project Conditional Disable Symbol to "Default".
If you encounter a problem with this add-on, or if you have suggestions for a future revision, please post to the forum for this add-on SLSC-EDS-Plugin-Custom-Device Feedback. You must use this feedback forum for support. Do not call National Instruments for support for this add-on.
This add-on is provided as open-source software. If it does not meet your exact specification, you are encouraged to modify the source code to meet your needs. It is not officially supported by National Instruments.
For 2018 and later, see: https://github.com/NIVeriStandAdd-Ons/SLSC-EDS-Plugin-Custom-Device/releases
Or use the Zip files in attachment: