From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Engine & EtherCAT Custom Device Feedback

Hi foxtest,

CompactRIO with DAQmx supports three user selectable modes for each slot:

• Real-Time (NI-DAQmx)
  • Real-Time Scan (IO Variable)
  • LabVIEW FPGA

Based on section 1 of this white paper:
What is CompactRIO with NI-DAQmx?
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/54330/en/

0 Kudos
Message 651 of 676
(2,387 Views)

The Scan Engine and EtherCAT Custom Device has not been tested with the new CompactRIOs with DAQmx. There is no reason why it shouldn't work, but it is currently in the backlog for future releases of the custom device. So you could try it on your own, or wait until a future release explicitly states support. Hopefully that helps!

Message 652 of 676
(2,382 Views)

Could you please update custom device for VeriStand 2018?

0 Kudos
Message 653 of 676
(2,329 Views)

I'm very interested too with an updated version (2017 or 2018) which adds real variables readings.

Is there a plan for a new version ?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 654 of 676
(2,310 Views)

Hi,

it looks like the latest version (Scan Engine and EtherCAT 2017 v4.4.1) of the Scan Engine & EtherCAT Custom Device is not compatible with VeriStand 2018.

I installed

- VeriStand 2018

- LabVIEW 2018

- RIO 18.0.0

- NI-Industrial Communcations for EtherCAT 18.0.0f1

With this configuration it is not possible to add the Custom Device to the System Definition File. If you try to do so, you will get error 1003:

Error Message.png

After I installed VeriStand 2017 on the same system without any modifications to the drivers, I was able to add the custom device to my System Definition File without any errors.

Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 655 of 676
(2,287 Views)

Hi all,

Starting in VeriStand 2018 National Instruments is going to start officially supporting a few Custom Devices including the Scan Engine and EtherCAT Custom Device. You can find more information about this on the VeriStand Add-Ons page.

When these become available, the custom device will have a compatible download for NI VeriStand 2018.

Thanks,

Andy 

Product Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 656 of 676
(2,272 Views)

HI,

We are facing an issue when trying to use this Custom Device ona cRIO and 9860 X-NET Module.

Our Configuration :

cRIO9036

NI 9860

NI 9203 x2

NI 9411 x2.

VeriStand 2017 

When we try to set a X-NET for CAN communication with Scan Engine Activated, we cannot deploy our project on the Real Time Target. 9860 dosn't respond and the error message says that no CAN interface was found on the device.

There is the know issue : 

• Using an XNET module along with a specialty digital module in a cRIO chassis may result in an error upon deployment (CAR 524753) with the message "NI-XNET:  (Hex 0xBFF63009) The board's firmware did not answer a command". This error does not occur with 9401 or 9402 modules when specialty digital is configured to none. Workaround: Program the specialty digital module through LabVIEW FPGA and communicate via UDVs.

We don't use specialty on 9411 and we also tried the workaround by building a LV project wheer 9411 are on the FPGA target and UDV. 9860 and 9203 are under Scan Engine. Same error.

Any idea ?

Best Regards.

Maxime R.  

CLA - Certified LabVIEW Architect / Architecte LabVIEW Certifié
  CTA - Certified TestStand Architect / Architecte TestStand Certifié

0 Kudos
Message 657 of 676
(2,224 Views)

Hello all,

I am trying to integrate a 3rd party device in Ethercat, however I only see 0 as the value for the data points. The datatype is indicated as "Other".

I can see the status of the same data points with Datatype UInt8 and correct values (0 and 1).

I have no idea what dataypes the Ethercat Code labels as "Other", the device is sending "Real". Is it possible to receive data with datatype "Real" at all? A master from Beckhoff is receiving these values correctly.

This is one entry of the ESI file:

<TxPdo Sm="3" Mandatory="true" Fixed="true">
<Index>6659</Index>
<Name>Channel001</Name>
<Entry>
<Index>8195</Index>
<SubIndex>1</SubIndex>
<BitLen>8</BitLen>
<Name>Status</Name>
<DataType>USINT</DataType>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Index>8195</Index>
<SubIndex>2</SubIndex>
<BitLen>32</BitLen>
<Name>Value</Name>
<DataType>REAL</DataType>
</Entry>
</TxPdo>

Thanks in advance

Raphael

0 Kudos
Message 658 of 676
(2,208 Views)

has a versitand 2018 version become available yet?

0 Kudos
Message 659 of 676
(2,150 Views)

Hi,

You must ask NI Support directly even if we need to us this thread. I think they can you a version for 2018.

Does anyone from NI is reading this thread ?

Maxime R.  

CLA - Certified LabVIEW Architect / Architecte LabVIEW Certifié
  CTA - Certified TestStand Architect / Architecte TestStand Certifié

0 Kudos
Message 660 of 676
(2,117 Views)