From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Engine & EtherCAT Custom Device Feedback

Hey Josh,

I confirmed that the link is broken - I'm starting the process of updating that to point to the correct file.

As far as the error that you're getting, I successfully used the 2015 4.1.11 version with VeriStand 2015 SP1. I think your EtherCAT driver may need to be updated to properly function with LabVIEW 2015 SP1 per this compatibility table. I would try updating to at least EtherCAT 15.0 if not the latest version of the driver (EtherCAT 17.0).

Hopefully that helps!

0 Kudos
Message 631 of 676
(1,794 Views)

Thanks.   I was able to deploy once I manually entered the modules.  I will try the update once the link is fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 632 of 676
(1,791 Views)

Hi Josh, the link for 2015 SP1 should be working now. Let me know if you have any issues with the download or functionality.

0 Kudos
Message 633 of 676
(1,780 Views)

@AndrewFraser wrote:

I now have the quadrature output working after revisiting the module wiring however the position channels do not count down from 0 to negative. This means that if I run my motor in the reverse direction I can not read a speed. If I've already run positive and the position channel has already incremented for a while I can read negative speed until the channel reaches 0.

I had expected the output to count +ve and -ve up to the channel limit, is this correct?

Does anyone have an idea about a potential fix for this? I am starting to wonder whether I will need to set the 9411 card back into standard counter mode and develop a custom device to perform "counts to RPM" and also evaluate the direction based upon leading channel.

I had hoped the quadrature speciality function would perform the same way under Veristand with a cRIO and scan engine as it does in Veristand on a PXI based platform (or LabView and a cRIO).

I now have a requirement to run the motor in either direction, and perform PID control based on the encoder feedback, therefore directionality is necessary and I need to come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 634 of 676
(1,778 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Here is some code I wrote for issues I had with the EtherCat and Scan Engine Add On.  I found that in 2013 the 9411 was only scanning at the loop rate (1000 hz in my case) and not at what the module could do.  I had to write some FPGA code to get the speed I needed for my quadrature.   Here is my project, you can easily mod it to get your RPM, and it should work in either direction.

Good Luck,

Josh 

Message 635 of 676
(1,774 Views)

The NI 9381 C Series multifunction I/O module is not supported by this custom device, despite being compatible with CompactRIO FPGA, CompactRIO Scan Mode, and NI 9144/5 Scan Mode based on this document:

C Series Module Compatibility Chart

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/8136/en/

Kind Regards,

David Randolph

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 636 of 676
(1,762 Views)

Does this custom device support the NI-9381 yet? I do not see it in the drop down list.

0 Kudos
Message 637 of 676
(1,640 Views)

Thanks for sharing this useful add-on.

But I'm in trouble with using this add-on.

I could get module information from auto-detection.

But I could't deploy my system file with this add-on.

I got error message like below.

=====================================================================

The VeriStand Gateway encountered an error while deploying the System Definition file.

Details:
Error 1003 occurred at Project Window.lvlib:Project Window.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Command Loop.vi >> NI_VS Workspace ExecutionAPI.lvlib:NI VeriStand - Connect to System.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The VI is not executable. This error may occur because the VI is either broken or contains a subVI that LabVIEW cannot locate. Select File»Open to open the VI and verify that you can run it. 

(Actually this part is written in japanease)
=========================
NI VeriStand: Open VI Reference in Custom Devices Storage.lvlib:Open Device Reference (HW Interface).vi->Custom Devices Storage.lvlib:Initialize Device (HW Interface).vi->NI VeriStand Engine.lvlib:Initialize Inline Custom Devices.vi->NI VeriStand Engine.lvlib:VeriStand Engine State Machine.vi->NI VeriStand Engine.lvlib:VeriStand Engine.vi->NI VeriStand Engine.lvlib:VeriStand Engine Wrapper (RT).vi<APPEND>
/c/ni-rt/NIVeriStand/Custom Devices/Scan Engine/Scan Engine RT Driver.vi

=============================================

I tried to open Scan Engine RT Driver.vi in windows but I got a error message such as "LabVIEW Load Error Code 3: Could Not Load Front Panel in the Development Environment".

And if my system file doesn't contain this custom device, its work.

I use LV 2017 and VS 2017.

How can I access C series IO with VeriStand and Scan Engine?

Could you give me advice?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 638 of 676
(1,568 Views)

When you see error 1003 during deployment, it usually indicates a driver issue. I would recommend the following:

1. Ensure you downloaded the correct 2017 version of the custom device.
  2. Confirm that all the necessary software is pushed to your cRIO such as NI-CompactRIO and Scan Engine.
  3. Install NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT to your computer and target as the custom device was built to utilize both scan engine and EtherCAT. You can download the 17.0 version here: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-industrial-communications-for-ethercat-17.0/6540/en/.

As far as opening the RT Driver VI in Windows, that is expected behavior. When the custom device is built into the LLBs for RT Targets, both the front panels and block diagrams are removed. In order to access the block diagram, you would need to download the source code from GitHub. However, this shouldn't be necessary as the built version has been tested in 2017 for every target type.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 639 of 676
(1,563 Views)

Thank you for your reply!

I added EtherCAT to RT controller but it didn't work...

If someone have experience of using this custom device with LabVIEW 2017.

Could you please share the software configuration on RT target? 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 640 of 676
(1,544 Views)