NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis TimeSync Custom Device Feedback

Hi DMous,

If you use that hardware with an RT system along with the Chassis TimeSync custom device and the required NI TimeSync 1.2 software... then the timestamps from your data logs will be whatever you set the external time reference to be- so in your case, IRIG-B. So you should be able to do that just fine.

You cannot do this same thing in Windows since the Chassis TimeSync custom device and NI-TimeSync 1.2 do not work in windows. If you're willing to try writing some code in LabVIEW, you could do it in windows.

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 91 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Hi,

We have a system where multiple PXIs are synchornised together using PXI-6683H and IEEE-1588.

This works very well, but recently a client ask us if the master PXI can be also synchronised to NTP server or GPS.

Any tips how we can do that? Can we configure that using Chassis TimeSync CD? Or maybe we have to add second CD which will synchronise the clock?

0 Kudos
Message 92 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Hi,

You can use at least the GPS with the PXI-6683H. This card can be synchronised to the GPS entry and function as IEEE 1588 grandmaster .

I didn't use this capability but I suspect it is just hardware configuration without impact on your software

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 93 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Thanks for tip.

So it should be enaugh to configure in VeriStand synchornization to GPS on one of the PXIs and it will work as a 1588 grandmaster?

How to make sure that this PXI will be master not any other? Usually we do it using priorities, but you can not configure them when selecting GPS as time reference.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 94 of 115
(4,014 Views)

As I specified in my previous message, I have never used this configuration.

But as specified in the user's manual, the 1588 output should be automaticaly configured as grandmaster when the clock is synchronized on the GPS.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 95 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Do also note that you should also be able to play around with the Priorities by using the following Property Nodes:

"niSync»Timing»1588»Priority1" and "niSync»Timing»1588»Priority2"

It might be also worth to point out that if you are synchronizing via IEEE-1588 with an external device, then the layers (that are used for "sending the synchronization messagges") can also start to become important.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 96 of 115
(4,014 Views)

@hrobitaille: Thanks - I will try that out.

@ThiCop: I can play with the priorities if I configure CD to use 1588. When it is configured to use GPS I can not change the priorities.

What about NTP or SNTP?

Anybody tried that?

That would be even more interesting for our client, cause the NTP server is already running in their lab and they have other things synchornized to it.

I found that there is TimeSync for SNTP:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-14480

But I have no idea if and how it will work in the combination with PXI-6683H and the TimeSync for NISync.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 97 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Hi,

is it possible to upload a Build with the actual LV Version 15.

Thanks and greetings

0 Kudos
Message 98 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Hi,

We also need the version for VeriStand 2015.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 99 of 115
(4,014 Views)

Hello AWE_TU and JeKo,

I have uploaded the built custom device for VeriStand 2015 to the community page.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 115
(4,014 Views)