NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why teststand can not display the ASCII character which number up to 128?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I have encountered a problem on an application for ASCII character,why teststand can not display the ASCII character which number up to 128?

For example:an expression  Local.xx=Chr(164),

xx-->string,I can not get the correct string.

Have any idea for this?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,383 Views)

After figuring out your real question, i made some tests. Obviously, the TestStand strings do not support EXTENDED ASCII the way you expect.

Performing some random samples, it looks to me as if TestStand uses PostScript Character Codes (European Set) if the character number is 128 or greater (checked with 174, 254).

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,363 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author panzer099

TestStand uses multibyte string encodings based on the code page you set for the operating system. If you are using a code page which requires multibyte characters, you should also make sure you have the Station Options->Localization->Regcognize Multi-byte Characters setting enabled.

On Windows 7 at least, the code page setting for the operating system is located in the "Region and Language" control panel in the "Administrative" tab where it says "Language for non-Unicode programs".

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 3 of 7
(5,353 Views)

@dug9000 wrote:
[...]On Windows 7 at least, the code page setting for the operating system is located in the "Region and Language" control panel in the "Administrative" tab where it says "Language for non-Unicode programs".

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Ah, that explains why i see "European Set"....

One question, Doug: Obviously, you can select only the localization there. Is this PostScript Characters for all languages? Or is it possible to switch to something like true types, e.g. "Wingdings"? (I know, bad example, but i hope you get the point)

thanks,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,350 Views)

I don't think there is a code page for Wingdings. I think that's more of a font setting than a language setting. See the following for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317752%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317756%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,328 Views)

Hello Dug9000,

This issue is fixed by changed the setting in "Region and language"-control panel.I guess this issue based on teststand not support chinese version,even if I used english version WinXP.Cause Labview desn't have this issue.

A littel uncomfortable is the other software(Chinese) will present confused code.

Thanks.

BR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,298 Views)

Glad you got things working. The default setting for the non-unicode language on a Chinese version of the Windows OS should already be set to Chinese by default, but for Chinese on an English language version of the Windows OS, you will need to change the setting to Chinese (if that is the language you want) if it hasn't already been changed.

Because TestStand supports Multi-byte rather than Unicode it can only support one language at a time.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,275 Views)