From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi's reference subvi's from deployed model

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

We are using about 50 testsequences made with TestStand 4.1.1 and LabVIEW 8.5. Development is done with LabVIEW and TestStand, production uses the TestStand runtime.

Our vi's reference vi's from libraries: for example "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\Utility\error.llb\Clear Errors.vi". After development, we deploy our testsequences on a network share, so the production PC's can execute them via the TestStand Runtime. The references from "program files" are deployed to a folder ../SupportVIs so the production PCs can find these references, since they don't have the "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib" folder.

Some vi's are reused in new testsequences and copied in the /NI_Labview folder of the testsequence. To check for errors before deploying, I run the "mass compile" option (Labview->Tools->Advanced->Mass Compile...) for the /NI_Labview folder of the actual testsequence. The output of the "Mass Compile" contains odd messages:

#### Starting Mass Compile: do 28 apr 2016 9:07:24
  Directory: "C:\Stefsvn\TESTSET55\NI_Labview"
C:\Stefsvn\TESTSET55\NI_Labview\TESTSET55.llb\ReadConfig_DUT_parameters.vi
    - The VI expected to be at "S:\Teststand models\SupportVIs\Read Key (U32).vi" was loaded from "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\Utility\config.llb\Read Key (U32).vi".
C:\Stefsvn\TESTSET55\NI_Labview\TESTSET55(Teststand).vi
    - The VI expected to be at "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\Utility\error.llb\Clear Errors.vi" was loaded from "S:\Teststand models\SupportVIs\Clear Errors.vi".
#### Finished Mass Compile: do 28 apr 2016 9:07:27

Labview searches for subvi references in the deployed files of our teststand models!

Using the mass compile option i broke a deployed teststand model vi. I want to avoid this scenario to not affect production when compiling/deploying a new testsequence.

If I look at LabVIEW->Tools->Options->Paths->VI Search Path, I get the following list:

<topvi>\*

<foundvi>

<vilib>\*

<userlib>\*

<instrlib>\*

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\resource

Why would labview prefer to reference the deployed model vi's in stead of the vi's in the |vilib| folder? Is this because of "S:\Teststand models\" is in <foundvi> ?

Can i avoid labview referencing deployed vi's? Can i edit/clear <foundvi>?

Is there a built in option to view all subvi's with their paths? Or do i have to build this myself? I found this vi http://www.ni.com/example/27094/en/ which looks like a good start.

Thanks in advance,

Stef

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,590 Views)
Solution
Accepted by svh

@svh wrote:

If I look at LabVIEW->Tools->Options->Paths->VI Search Path, I get the following list:

<topvi>\*

<foundvi>

<vilib>\*

<userlib>\*

<instrlib>\*

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\resource

Why would labview prefer to reference the deployed model vi's in stead of the vi's in the |vilib| folder? Is this because of "S:\Teststand models\" is in <foundvi> ?

Can i avoid labview referencing deployed vi's? Can i edit/clear <foundvi>?

Is there a built in option to view all subvi's with their paths? Or do i have to build this myself? I found this vi http://www.ni.com/example/27094/en/ which looks like a good start.

Thanks in advance,

Stef

Hi Stef,

your search paths are used top down. So your <topvi> path get s searched first including the subfolders. As well as your <foundvi> list. VILIB is searched only after those two. On my installation, I have even deleted the <foundvi> list, since it caused me troble on a regular base.

What I haven't understood: are you trying to edit the deployed VIs or are you working on a development project?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,569 Views)

Hi Oli,

I am using the development project, but i guess i once opened a deployed vi and Labview remembers its path. I'll try again removing the <foundvi> entry.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,564 Views)